Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zer0110
Reel Rookie

Facotry Reset TV and Voice Remote Doesn't Work

Jump to solution

I've had my Roku TV (43S431) for a little over two years. Everything has been working fine.

I have not had my original remote for some time because it had gotten damaged and I replaced it with a Roku Voice Remote (RC-FA1). 

I decided to do a Factory Reset from the Settings Menu. Tv shutdown and restarted. It brought up the first setup screen asking for a language. I tried to select it only to find out that my remote wasn't working. I haven't even been able to connect with the RokuTV App on my phone, the TV doesn't show up because it's not yet set up.
I've searched everywhere online for a solution but haven't been able to find anything. I couldn't even use my Roku App on my phone to connect because the TV wasn't setup yet.
I was finally able to get everything working after I found an original remote for one of my other TVs and was able to pair my Voice Remote again.
However, what if I wasn't so lucky and didn't have this other remote? What could I have done then?
TL:DR
How could I setup a Factory Reset Roku TV using only a Roku Voice Remote?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Facotry Reset TV and Voice Remote Doesn't Work

Jump to solution

You should be able to use only the Voice Remote, but they can be a pain to pair.  My method is to only connect the power to the TV/Roku device after the pairing button on the remote is flashing and to make sure the batteries are new/fresh.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
renojim

Jump to solution

You should be able to use only the Voice Remote, but they can be a pain to pair.  My method is to only connect the power to the TV/Roku device after the pairing button on the remote is flashing and to make sure the batteries are new/fresh.

zer0110
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip!
I'm gonna try it and report back.
Steps I'll be taking to reset:
Settings -> Advanced System Settings -> Factory Reset Everything

Wish me luck!

I'm back and I'm happy to report that it indeed does work! After the TV restarted I unplugged it, waited 10 seconds, held the pairing button on the remote till it started flashing, plugged the TV back in and shortly after the initial setup screen showed up a little window showed it was pairing to the Voice Remote. Awesome!
Now that I have some piece of mind I hope this helps someone else that got themselves somehow in the same predicament. Many thanks, renojim!
Now I have to go about sett
ing up everything again. lol

renojim

Jump to solution

Glad it worked!  Thanks for reporting back!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

What if you don't have another remote? Please help

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@DesperateBinger, if you factory reset your TV you need a remote, period.  Either one from the manufacturer (TCL, Hisense, etc.), a Roku voice remote, or a universal remote that supports Roku TVs.

0 Kudos