Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pandemic21

Don't give Roku your money: TV not enjoyable because sound keeps cutting out

I won't name any competitors, but I recommend not giving Roku your money. There is another thread with several people complaining about the same issue, which is that every ~10 minutes all audio cuts out for ~5 seconds. It is very annoying.

All of these solutions have failed:

• replacing the Roku
  • rebooting the Roku
  • Updating the Roku
  • different HDMI port (both HDMI ports have the issue)
  • Different app (Paramount Plus versus Roku channel)

• Casting from my phone (I cast YouTube music from my phone to the Roku)

• sound bar vs external speakers (sound to both cuts out)

Roku tier 1 support feels like Comcast tier 1 support: Roku support reps are either bound by whatever flowchart they're following, or they are not properly educated on how to troubleshoot Roku problems. From where I'm sitting it doesn't matter which it is, I don't like Roku support for the same reason I don't like Comcast support... they put me on a call list and told me I'd get called back "at the earliest". That means 24-48 hours. It's actually worse than Comcast, because Comcast gives you a 9 AM - 5 PM window... Roku didn't even do that.

I wish the Roku worked, because I love the idea. I wish it wasn't a technical failure, held up by outsourced support reps. But it is, so I recommend avoiding it.

If anybody here has an idea on how to fix the audio issue I have up to 2 days before Roku support calls me back, so let me know.

EDIT: I never received the phone call from Roku support. Bought the same product from a competitor, we'll see how it does.

EDIT EDIT: I finally got the call from Roku on 11/27. The support rep said she would send me questions over email, which I haven't received yet (24 hours after the call). I let her know that there is a person in this thread that has done more technically detailed troubleshooting that I have, so I hope (but don't expect) that Roku has engaged with that person to fix this issue.

I've written off the money I spent on the 4k Roku Streaming Stick. When I got the call from Roku support I was enjoying the 4K Chromecast I bought, which (1) does not have the audio issue, and (2) controls my sound system (which the Roku remote could not). Super happy with the Chromecast.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DeltagGal65
Reel Rookie

Re: Don't give Roku your money: TV not enjoyable because sound keeps cutting out

I feel your pain.

Since the update, my sound on my 55" TCL TV just keeps increasing up to 100 and past.  I can't control the sound at all.

I had a sound bar I had purchased a while ago for my computer, so I put it on the TV.  That allows me to control what I hear, but the stupid icon with the level of the sound just stays at 100.  It keeps going and going.  

IF i could turn off the icon, I could pretend I don't have a problem ... up to three remotes but hey, my hearing is saved.

0 Kudos
bhasselbeck
Reel Rookie

Re: Don't give Roku your money: TV not enjoyable because sound keeps cutting out

am having all of the same issues as folks across this forum. Before posting I did thorough testing and I would like for the Roku team to explore more.

Here is my setup:

I have an AppleTV 4K (MXH02LL/A) which is outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI to my projector (LG HU70LA) which also has the LG WebOS software on it providing Netflix, Prime, etc. From the projector, I have an optical cable (brand new, gold plated interface) running direct to my Roku Streambar (9102R). The Streambar has 4 Roku Wireless Speakers (‎9020R2) and a Roku Wireless Subwoofer (9201R2) paired with it to provide surround sound.

Every device except for the Roku is wired into my gigabit network with CAT6 wire. I tested connection speeds around 230 MB/s.

All of my cables are brand new. The HDMI is an ultra high-speed gold plated cable direct to the projector (Highwings Ultra High Speed HDMI Braided Cord-4K@120Hz, 8K@60Hz). The optical cable is a BlueRigger Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable (Aluminum Shell, 24K Gold-Plated).

I have tested all of the following situations.

Roku Streambar to projector: Everything plays wonderful. But it has issues handling the 4K bandwidth because this is the only wireless component of the setup. I did purchase an ethernet dongle (Plugable USB 2.0 to Ethernet Fast 10/100 LAN) that provided a wired interface, the bandwidth improves and the 4K support is better.

AppleTV through the projector to the Roku Streambar: The audio will work great for roughly 2 minutes until it fades out for a brief second, and then fades out again for a brief second upon which it will return to perfect clarity for 10-15 mins. This will repeat every 5-10 mins for the entirety of the viewing experience.

LG Projector through the Roku Streambar: The same issue as the AppleTV. I would watch Netflix with Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital 5.1. The audio will work great for roughly 2 minutes until it fades out for a brief second, and then fades out again for a brief second upon which it will return to perfect clarity for 10-15 mins. This will repeat every 5-10 mins for the entirety of the viewing experience.

For the AppleTV through the projector to the Roku Streambar and LG Projector through the Roku Streambar test scenarios, I tested changing the audio stream from the LG projector to the Roku Streambar to PCM/Passthrough/Bitstream. With every variation of audio interfacing, the drop out occurs. I confirmed this is not an issue with the AppleTV or the projector as I've used the same cables and played the device(s) through a different sound bar.

My conclusion: The Roku Soundbar is likely receiving an encoded signal (dolby digital or similar) from the Toslink optical cable and is decoding it regularly but has a hiccup every now and then where the sound resets or recycles the signal. 

This is 100% a Roku software issue.

I would expect the Roku Streambar (marketed as a soundbar with a Roku interface to it) would be able to handle the very basic signals from my devices. And, given the fact that it's a surround sound setup, it should be a basic aspect of the technology.

GrammaI

I'm having the same problem. Wish I'd never wasted the money on it