Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Dolby Vision is darker on HDMI inputs than native Roku channels on TCL 55R625

Hello, I bought (2) TCL TV's within the last ~year and moved our existing Fire TV Stick 4K's to them and kept using the interface we were used to. I just noticed something peculiar with the 55" with Dolby Vision HDR content. The TV models are:

• 43" 5 Series (43S525)

• 55" 6 Series (55R625)

Here are my observations while using Disney+, and a section from Frozen 2 (sorry, I have a kid). Starting around 1:30:18 - 1:31:12

• 55" 6 Series - Roku channel - Bright, vivid colors, near the end of the section Elsa's face is a rosy pink (right before it cuts to credits)

• 55" 6 Series - Fire TV Stick 4K - Darker, dull colors. The blues of the "frozen" horse and the flames on the salamander are noticeably less vivid. Elsa's face at the end is a softer tone with a slightly blushed look (much less intense colors)

• 43" 5 Series - Roku channel - Bright, vivid colors, looks similar to the 55" Roku channel

• 43" 5 Series - Fire TV Stick 4K - Seemingly the same as Roku channel output...slightly darker, but similar color intensity

I also have a Chromecast Ultra that is mimicking the behavior seen with the Fire TV sticks.

Dolby Vision is properly recognized on all methods. Video settings are the same across inputs. I've swapped the FTV's between TV's - no change. I've swapped HDMI inputs. I've factory reset the 55" TV. I've tried HDMI 1.4, 2.0, and Auto (the only options presented to me). This is with the included HDMI cables of the FTV Stick, and the attached HDMI from the CCU.

Both TV's are on OS 9.4 Build 4200 and "up to date". Though the 43" is slightly newer at 4200-93 vs 4200-88. This issue may have started with the 9.4 update but I didn't immediately notice it except weirder "colors" after that update. I typically don't use the Roku channels but only did recently after noticing the much dimmer shows across many titles.

And to cap it all off, neither TV allows me to disable HDR with the secret codes. The option doesn't even show in the menu.

2 Replies
Level 9

Re: Dolby Vision is darker on HDMI inputs than native Roku channels on TCL 55R625

I am also experiencing the same issue. Same television (55R625) and same firmware.

Level 7

Re: Dolby Vision is darker on HDMI inputs than native Roku channels on TCL 55R625

Will add that this is also the case on the 65r615 and would love a fix.