Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby Digital 5.1 weird sound via HDMI

Two days ago I bought a Hisense 43r6090g with Roku TV to replace my old Hisense 32h4f with Roku TV as well. Everything was going great until I noticed the audio sounded weird. Quiet sounds and acoustic music sounds okay, but loud and strong sounds, like explosions, seem to be compressed, like the highest and lowest frequencies are being clipped to make them even. I thought this was a problem with the new TV, so I connected back with my old Hisense, which never had this problem, and to my surprise now it had the same issue as the new TV. I checked the last time the old TV was updated, and coincidentally was the same day I installed my new TV, so now both TVs have version 10.0.0 build 4209-94, which seems to be the problem.

After checking some more, I confirmed that the problem only happens with Dolby Digital 5.1 source, as PCM 2.0, DTS 5.1, and Dolby Digital 2.0 seem to do just fine. Also, this issue is happening only via HDMI, as native apps (Plex, Emby, Netflix, and Jellyfin) are processing Dolby Digital 5.1 without any artifacts.

Also, the "compression", or "clipping" of the sound, is heard in the TV speakers, the 3.5mm jack, and Optical Output as well.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos