Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Does the Roku IR remote work on Roku TVs?

Jump to solution

This is in regard to IR remotes. I want to get my Roku remote to work with my TCL Roku tv.

I have a Sanyo Roku TV, a TCL Roku TV, and a roku. The TCL does not have a remote control but the Sanyo remote will operate the TCL just fine. We need the Sanyo remote to operate the Sanyo TV and I want to use the Roku remote to operate the TCL; is that possible?

Everything I've read says the IR remotes should be interchangeable or at least work without any problem for the Roku functions. I've confirmed the Roku remote works. It's sending out a signal, everything is hunky dory except it won't function at all with the TCL TV. Honestly, other than the Sanyo name and the power button they are exactly the same remote control they should work I would think.

Does anybody have a trick to make it work? Can anybody point out the stupidly simple mistake that I'm making?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Does the Roku IR remote work on Roku TVs?

Jump to solution

Sorry but no. The standard IR Roku remote uses a completely different IR code set then Roku tv's do. As you found out sanyo and tcl uses the same code set as do these other roku tv brands: insignia, rca, magnavox, westinghouse, philips, hitachi, Element, Haier, jvc, and onn. The two brands that use a different code are Sharp & Hisense Roku tv's so stay away from them. 

You can go to walmart and get the One-For-All urc-7935 Streamer universal remote, its about $16.88. You can find them on ebay for around $10. Here's photo next to a roku tv remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

You can get Roku tv IR remotes on ebay for under $10. A roku remote with power key and crescent moon key are for sure roku tv IR remotes. The one with microphone like in the photo is the wifi voice roku tv remote. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Does the Roku IR remote work on Roku TVs?

Jump to solution

Sorry but no. The standard IR Roku remote uses a completely different IR code set then Roku tv's do. As you found out sanyo and tcl uses the same code set as do these other roku tv brands: insignia, rca, magnavox, westinghouse, philips, hitachi, Element, Haier, jvc, and onn. The two brands that use a different code are Sharp & Hisense Roku tv's so stay away from them. 

You can go to walmart and get the One-For-All urc-7935 Streamer universal remote, its about $16.88. You can find them on ebay for around $10. Here's photo next to a roku tv remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

You can get Roku tv IR remotes on ebay for under $10. A roku remote with power key and crescent moon key are for sure roku tv IR remotes. The one with microphone like in the photo is the wifi voice roku tv remote. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos