Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Do I Need a Receiver/AVR for Roku Soundbar to support 5.1?

Jump to solution

I just bought a Roku soundbar + subwoofer and I'm planning on getting the two wireless rear speakers as well. I've tried to research my question but can't find a hard yes or no answer.

So I've seen a lot of people online asking about having the whole home theater set (Soundbar, Sub, Rear Speakers) and discussing 5.1 support but all of them seemed to have a receiver with their set. I don't have a receiver, I just have a TCL 6 Series, the soundbar, and the sub so far.

But my question is, do I absolutely need a receiver in order for the sound to be considered "real" 5.1? If I just get the wireless rears, will the 5.1 automatically be set up within the soundbar? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Do I Need a Receiver/AVR for Roku Soundbar to support 5.1?

Jump to solution

@cablfc 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you have the Roku Smart Soundbar, the Roku Subwoofer, and purchase the Roku TV Wireless speakers, then you will be able to have a 5.1 sound system without the use of an external AVR/receiver.

For more information about the setup for your surround sound using the Roku devices, visit our Support page here: What is the best placement for my Roku® wireless speakers?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Do I Need a Receiver/AVR for Roku Soundbar to support 5.1?

Jump to solution

@cablfc 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you have the Roku Smart Soundbar, the Roku Subwoofer, and purchase the Roku TV Wireless speakers, then you will be able to have a 5.1 sound system without the use of an external AVR/receiver.

For more information about the setup for your surround sound using the Roku devices, visit our Support page here: What is the best placement for my Roku® wireless speakers?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos