Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Disney+ HDR content displaying incorrectly

My Roku TV Hisense 55R600E supposedly has 4K HDR10 support. However, when I stream the Mandalorian on the Disney+ app, it shows the HDR pop-up, but then the picture is extremely dim especially when there are scenes indoors. Is this an issue with the TV or the Disney+ app? Has anyone had this issue as well and found a fix?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Disney+ HDR content displaying incorrectly

@isawat wrote:

My Roku TV Hisense 55R600E supposedly has 4K HDR10 support. However, when I stream the Mandalorian on the Disney+ app, it shows the HDR pop-up, but then the picture is extremely dim especially when there are scenes indoors. Is this an issue with the TV or the Disney+ app? Has anyone had this issue as well and found a fix?

I've read this in multiple forums for different devices. That's the way the video looks. I too was expecting much better from them for HDR. SO it's not your TV, your Roku, or the D+ app itself. That's just the way Disney is streaming the video. I had to change my TV into Vivid mode (or something similar to that name) to brighten up the image. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@isawat Thanks for the note here. Please make sure to check for the latest system update in Settings>System>System update>Check now to make sure your device is on the latest version of Roku OS. 

Then, as @atc98092 mentioned, try pressing the * key during playback of content. A menu will open on the left, which should present some additional picture settings. What do you currently have selected for TV brightness and for Picture mode? 

- Do you also experience this issue if you play HDR content in another channel, such as Netflix, Vudu, MoviesAnywhere, etc.?

- Have you tried going into Settings>System>Advanced system settings> Factory reset>Reset TV audio/picture settings and resetting these to see if this helps?

If no difference, please reply to let us know and include the specific software version and build you have installed in Settings>System>About. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same problem.  Streaming anything on Disney+ thru the roku results in a dim image.  If I watch the same movie on Netflix or Movies Anywhere it displays as it should, nice and bright.  If I'm using Disney+ thru my xbox, the image is correct.  Only thru Disney+ on the roku is the image dim.

So, who has the problem?  Disney+ or roku?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@TonyBago 

Thanks for letting us know. Could you provide an example movie title that you experience this issue with in Disney+, but not in Netflix or Movies Anywhere? Have you also contacted Disney+ support to report the issue you are seeing in their channel and request additional assistance? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I've seen the problem with multiple titles: INSIDE OUT and AVENGERS INFINITY WAR are two examples.
I have contacted Disney+ and they are elevating to their tech team. I'm waiting to hear back from them.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Thanks for the details here. Most or all of the Disney owned titles (Marvel, Pixar, Disney) are not available in 4K HDR quality inside of Netflix. They are limited to HD 1080P quality. This would differentiate the content stream that you are playing in each of these channels and may contribute to differences in playback. 

MoviesAnywhere, however, may offer the same 4K HDR quality for those same movie titles, and Disney should be able to help investigate as they also own MoviesAnywhere. 

Please keep us posted with what you discover. We'll relay these reports over to the channel provider. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Someone really smart with the proper test equipment tested some of the HDR content on the D+ channel, and has determined that many titles, especially the older ones, are not proper HDR. As to the new titles, such as The Mandolorian, that's the way it looks. Users with different platforms are saying the same thing. It's not a Roku issue.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Whether or not it is a roku issue remains to be seen in my book.  I just watched Mandolorian thru my xbox and thru my roku.  The roku version was quite dimmer than the xbox version, just as it has been with other content I have tried.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Tanner,

That does not explain why the Disney+ stream via my xbox is quite brighter than the Disney+ stream thru the roku.

Still waiting to hear from the Disney+ tech people.

Thanks,

Tony

0 Kudos