Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
llig
Level 7

Directv remote controlling soundbar

My directv genie remote rc73 will not program to control roku smart soundbar’s volume. It is set up correctly-directv audio is coming from roku soundbar. But that volume can not be controlled with directv remote. Roku and directv support were stumped. Anyone else have this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11\
allangiii
Level 7

Re: Directv remote

I have the same problem as well, searched all over the internet for a solution but found none.

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Directv remote

Right, the directv remote doesn't have roku streambar/soundbar volume commands, reason the volume commands are neither audio or tv commands, they're Roku streamer commands, which the directv remote doesn't have. 

But it isn't needed, if you have the streambar or soundbar connected to the tv with hdmi-arc, and it is recognized by the tv as a hdmi-cec device. The directv remote only needs the tv volume which will control the Roku soundbar volume via cec. Tv volume controls the streambar, and streambar volume controls the tv. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
bfleck69
Level 7

Re: Directv remote issues

Could you provide specific instructions to how I can get my RC73 Directv remote to control the stream bar?  The volume keys do not work. Do I have to reprogram them? I currently have the audio coming out of the TV with the optical cord into the stream bar.   It has been out of the box a day and may have to go back to Roku if I can’t get my remotes to work. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

The optical is for sending sound from the tv to the streambar, you still have to have HDMI connection between them to see video from channels and menu of streambar. Go into your tv settings, refresh the cec devices connected to, once the tv recognizes the streambar as cec device, the tv volume commands should control the streambar volume. Then make sure the DirecTV remote is programmed for your tv brand. That is the only way for it to work. 

Edmund

Geauxjmyers
Level 7

TivoBurkee, I just got a streambar pro and I can’t get DirectTV remote to control the volume on it.  The Roku remote AND the tv remote do control the volume.  I don’t understand your prior answers on this.  Can you simplify your answers?   I even called DirectTV and they said my remote (RC73) is not compatable.  

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Program the rc73 directv remote for your brand of tv, once the directv remote controls the tv volume, the tv will now control the streambar pro's volume. I haven't had a directv system since 2012, so I never used the rc7? small remotes. Just older white remotes, and I don't know the steps in the directv receive to program newer remotes. Just get the directv remote controlling the tv, the rest should work too. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Geauxjmyers
Level 7

I’m not positive, but I think the remote is set up to still control the tv (LG).  I’ll play with it some more though.  

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Refresh the cec devices in your tv settings, the tv has to recognize the streambar pro as cec device, and be connected to the hdmi-arc on the tv. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Geauxjmyers
Level 7

You were right.  On my DTV remote settings I changed audio device from Roku to LG (to match TV) and it worked.  Thanks a lot for the help!  And btw, I’m only using the HDMI cable from the streambar to the TV.  I’m not using the optical cable.  

0 Kudos