Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CuriousGeorge2
Reel Rookie

DIRECTV RF Remote requires line of sight to TV to control sound bar volume.

New Roku Sound Bar Pro is connected via HDMI ARC to LG TV that is CEC capable. I have three remotes. LG TV remote, DIRECTV remote, and Roku remote. All three remotes work properly across TV, satellite box and sound bar to control all functions as advertised in RF mode, with one exception.

While the DIRECTV remote will perform all remote functions as advertised in RF mode, it requires line of sight (as if in IR mode) to the LG TV receiver port to control the sound bar volume. The sound bar sets at the bottom of the TV and blocks the IR/RF receiver port. If I move the sound bar out of the way to gain line of sight, then the DIRECTV remote will Control the sound bar volume when pointed directly at the bottom of the TV.

it’s as if somehow the DIRECTV remote defaults to IR operation ONLY for controlling the sound bar audio. There is no easy way to position the TV and the sound bar so the IR/RF port is visible.

any ideas on how I can get the DIRECTV remote to control the sound bar audio has if in RF mode and not requiring line of sight to the LG TV port? This is an annoyance and a curiosity. Hopefully some audio tech wizard out there can help me solve this.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: DIRECTV RF Remote requires line of sight to TV to control sound bar volume.

Without having Roku Soundbar code on board the DirecTV remote, the only way to control it is by tv volume. With cec the tv volume controls the soundbar and soundbar volume controls the tv. I say lift your tv up with one of these:

Amazon.com : tv table mount

Before I wall mounted all the Tv's in my house, every tv used one of those table mounts. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CuriousGeorge2
Reel Rookie

Is there anyway to get the sound bar code loaded onto the DIRECTV remote?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

No, Roku's the competition, just like a Directv remote wouldn't have Dish Network codes either. The Roku soundbar volume commands aren't Audio nor Tv device volumes, which are the only type of codes in the directv remote. What they're is Streamer cec commands. 

You could go with universal remote, a very cheap one:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

The directv code is 1377, Roku 3061, the volume commands won't be preset you'll have to add them individually with advanced codes. Which are 5 digit codes for individual functions.

tv power- 00147

volume up- 00134

volume down- 00136

mute- 00140

To map to keys on the Onn 6 remote:

1. stream programmed with code 3061

2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks, release

3. enter 9 9 4

4. tap SETUP for one blink

5. enter 5 digit code

6. pick a key

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CuriousGeorge2
Reel Rookie

Impressive! Thank you.

0 Kudos