Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jack4
Level 7

DIRECT-roku network cannot be found when setting up Dorm Wifi.

Jump to solution

Previously, I have been able to connect my Roku TV to the dorm wifi normally.  Recently though, when I go to connect, the direct network (DIRECT-roku-...) cannot be found by my phone or my laptop, so I have no way of inputting my password for the dorm wifi.

I've tried the usual remedies, turning the tv and my phone fully off and back on, etc.  I don't know what to do. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: DIRECT-roku network cannot be found when setting up Dorm Wifi.

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience regarding the issue you are experiencing.

We believe we have identified the issue and expect this to be resolved in a future update.

In the meantime, you can use the following workaround:

The exact steps for the workaround are as follows.
  1. Disable Miracast: Settings -> System -> Screen Mirroring -> Screen Mirroring Mode -> Never Allow
  2. Setup network connection: Settings -> Network -> Setup connection -> Wireless -> {select the AP/Router}
  3. Once Login Portal is detected, select "At dorm or hotel" in pop-up.
  4. Another dialog will popup informing you that Device Connect is disabled and will take you to the Device Connect dialog. Select Enable.
  5. Setup network connection again (#2 above) and follow the normal login portal routine to connect to the network.
  6. Re-enable Miracast: Settings -> System -> Screen Mirroring -> Screen Mirroring Mode -> Prompt or Always Allow

If you receive any issues with these steps or have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 21

Jump to solution

You can not connect to DIRECT-roku- network or get internet from one. That is just the roku communicating with its wifi remote. Its upsolutely useless to you. If you don't have wifi remote or roku doesn't have wifi remote paired you won't see that among the local wifi networks. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
jack4
Level 7

Jump to solution

When you try to get the Roku on Dorm/Hotel wifi, you need to temporarily connect your phone to the DIRECT thing in order to respond to the prompt that the Dorm/Hotel sends.  I’ve done this before, but now the DIRECT network does not appear.

0 Kudos
mooncity
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem with my ROKU TV for my dorm room when it’s worked just fine in the past. The only thing i can suggest is doing a factory reset on your tv then trying again. That worked for me but my problem now is that only worked for one day and I’m having the same troubles again.

0 Kudos
mooncity
Level 7

Says I’m unable to join DIRECT-Roku for my ROKU TV

Jump to solution

I haven’t had any issues until a few days ago where I suddenly couldn’t connect my ROKU TV using my phone, ipad, or laptop. I use the tv for my dorm room so I use the dorm connect and then I find DIRECT-Roku on my wifi list and connect using my university information. Now it doesn’t show up unless I exit the connect screen on my tv and when I try to go back to that screen DIRECT-Roku disappears. I have tried factory reset and it worked for that day, but the next day (today) it’s doing the same thing again. I don’t want to have to factory reset my tv every time I want to use it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

0 Kudos
korrialijia
Level 7

Re: Says I’m unable to join DIRECT-Roku for my ROKU TV

Jump to solution

Mine is doing the exact same thing! I came to figure out how to fix it, but there is like nothing online about it Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@mooncity @jack4 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jack4
Level 7

Jump to solution

-Roku device model:  E1AA32R
-serial number: YK00TE032994
-device ID: 0A707T032994
-software OS/version: 9.4.0 (build 4187-AL)

0 Kudos
JennaJoanne
Level 7

Re: Says I’m unable to join DIRECT-Roku for my ROKU TV

Jump to solution

Same here! Looking for the solution 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@jack4 

Thanks for providing us with your information.

I have passed the information along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos