Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cassie1993
Reel Rookie

Constant Reactivation of TV

I have a Hisense Roku tv and every couple of days, it COMPLETELY resets itself. Like I will be in the middle of watching tv and it just completely restarts. I have to reconnect to the internet, retype in my email and activate it all over again. But when I open my Hulu, Netflix, etc. apps, all my info is saved. Like that stuff isn’t cleared. Anyone else have this issue or know what I can do to resolve it?

2 REPLIES 2
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Constant Reactivation of TV

There is a widely-reported endless recovery condition people can't get out out of. See:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/TCL-TV-loop-restart/td-p/533224/

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Start-up-problem-Update-loop-Endless/td-p/555001/

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Never-ending-Recovery-Mode-Screen/td-p/621012/

Your problem sounds a little different. Those other reports are immediate, constant. Yours takes a day or two(?).

What I would do is go to home>settings>system>advanced>factory reset. But, during the initial setup, tell it you don't have internet. This will install whatever version of Roku's software the tv came with. Watch antenna tv for awhile, and see if the problem recurs.

Eventually you can go to home>settings>network to configure your network connection. When you do that, the tv will (in a day or two) check for an update. If the problem resumes, then you're victim #85,957 of Roku's famously untested updates.

The reason it would be good to determine if the problem is due to the latest 9.4 disaster is that you can continue to use your tv as a dumb tv. I.e. do the factory reset, never connect to the internet, and buy an external streaming device (Amazon Fire Stik? Android Box? Chromecast? Roku has a good legacy reputation with its external boxes. But, Roku TV is an unmitigated disaster. So, I'd be reluctant to suggest anything from Roku, to be honest.).

Then you'd still have antenna tv, and whatever streaming the external box provides. Those boxes are around $30. That would save you from having to buy a new tv. Plus, IMO, this Roku TV disaster shows why it's better to not "bundle" everything into one product. (All your eggs in one basket.). Having separate, plug-n-play devices protects you from predatory companies like Roku. Whenever the tv has a hardware failure (if it hasn't already), you can take your external device to some other tv that you never connect to the internet. Think of it as "cut the cord 2.0." People left predatory cable/satellite "bundling." Roku was the destination of choice. But, they turned out to be just as bad.

Whatever the problem is with your tv. I wouldn't expect it to be fixed. If it's still under warranty, I would assert that claim. If it's out of warranty, your only remedy is to determine whether the problem is due to the latest software update. If it is, then never connect it to the internet. Use an external box. Leave product reviews on the retailer sites so other victims will know what they're getting into.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Cassie1993
Reel Rookie

Re: Constant Reactivation of TV

Oh no. That’s not the answer I was hoping for. 

I only use the tv for two things, Hulu while I sleep and my Xbox. 

I just hate turning it on only to find I have to completely reactivate it before I can play Xbox.

But thank you so much! I guess I’ll be looking into a new tv.

0 Kudos