Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vertig00
Reel Rookie

Re: Constant Buffering With 4K Content

TCL 55R17-CA

Serial # YS00FK836995

Device ID FV293F836995

Software 10.5.0 build 4210-30

Occurs on Youtube version 2.20 build 93005147

when playing 2160 YouTube video it stops every 2 second. Works fine with Netflix or Prime video 4k content

0 Kudos
Series6Nomore
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny,

I also have the same problem as the original poster. Buffering on 4k videos in both YouTube TV app and YT. Every 2 seconds. Downgrading to 1440 alows playback. Occurs over wifi as well as wired connection. Speeds are 48mbps to 100mbps. I'd be happy to provide the usual menu of detailed data as my predecessors, but how about just providing an answer/solution to the problems already laid out in great detail. I have 4 tcl Roku TV's. I'd like to watch TV in 4k. Waiting for a answer or solution. 

Bill R.

0 Kudos
Yan1981

Hello. I got the exat same problem. I have speedtest of 240~300mbs. The problem appear only on youtube on my hisense and tcl tv. 

I have 2 ôter 4k tv with android os and no problem at all with 4k.

I that normal to spend money on a tv 4k and have this kind of issues.??

0 Kudos
phil9417
Reel Rookie

Same problem with my TCL Roku TV.  Only youtube 4K 60fps content gets constant buffering.  Some 4K 30 fps is ok but most 4K content at any fps buffers.  Anything lower resolution does not buffer.  I am on a 1Gbps fiber connection and wired via Ethernet to the TV.  Playing 4K youtube on PC or other devices is fine.

This was not an issue a year ago.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you haven't already, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

FYI - I recently upgraded to 180Mbps service (new contract) and the problem with 4K YouTube content remains. 

Has there been any movement at all on this issue? Its been well over a month since I opened this thread with absolutely zero updates from Roku on what is being done to address the issue.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ektoplasm

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that this issue is still under investigation with the appropriate Roku team. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Is there any way to escalate the issue with higher priority? Not only was this reported to you months ago, the Roku has been broken since roughly October of last year.

I'm tired of waiting. This level of service is NOT acceptable.

0 Kudos
phil9417
Reel Rookie

As others have mentioned earlier, this issue is specific to Youtube app.  Youtube streaming seems to have limited bandwidth which is causing the constant buffering.  The original poster has indicated that bandwidth is limited to 10mbps in Youtube Roku app which is not enough for 4K streaming. 

This was not an issue before last year.

0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Yep, and I don't like being stonewalled by this company. These TVs were sold pre-loaded with the YouTube app in a partnership between Roku and TCL and advertised to support 4K streaming playback. This feature was effectively removed with the last software update. 

In my opinion, Roku has had ample time to address this issue and it's becoming clear that they have no intent whatsoever to address the issue. 

Roku needs to have a supervisor reach out and explain what is being done to address the deficiency and in what timeframe we can expect the issue to be rectified. I'm expecting a response within 72 hours.

0 Kudos