Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Constant Buffering With 4K Content

Hi @ektoplasm,

I ran into an issue with 4K @ 60fps on my TCL Roku TV that is approximately 2 years old as well. With a bit of network changes, I've been able to correct the issue. This change specifically applied to my issues with YouTube. Prior to the change, it would never go above 23Mbps on stats for nerds; resulting in regular buffering after a number of seconds. Upon implementing the change, I'm showing stats for nerds "connection speed" @ 50Mbps on a bad day. My ISP connection at home is 1Gbps symmetrical.

Like yourself, my YouTube flows were resolving to a CDN, in my case with my ISP. Upon capturing packets, I observed that the Roku television in most cases was attempting to access the streams leveraging the QUIC protocol and specifically UDP port 443. Then I took the following steps:

1.) Setup a static DHCP lease of my firewall to ensure that the TV always gets the same IP

2.) Setup a firewall rule to block UDP port 443 from the television's IP address to any address. This will block QUIC negotiation, resulting in a downshift in protocol.

The result appears to have forced the connection away from the CDN and leverages standard TCP instead of QUIC.

Upon implementing these changes, the issue was immediately resolved.

Hope this helps someone.

cyberbytli
Channel Surfer

Doesn’t appear my Linksys velop mesh router has the ability to block a specific port, only open ports, in its firewall settings. Bummer. 

0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

Implemented blocking QUIC at my firewall and found that it is now possible to get 4K 2160p60 to play but with some quirks:

- Video quality must be set to Auto. The stream starts off at 1440p60, buffers about 30 seconds of video in the background, then upshifts to 2160p60 and continues playing while still keeping a buffer of 5-10 seconds. Eventually, the buffer doesn't keep up and runs dry... the video will stall and start the 1440p to 2160p process over again and play okay again for a while.

- The Download Speed indicator does now go up to around 50Mbps on these videos when buffering. Previously capped out at ~15Mbps.

- Some videos seem more problematic than others. However, all of them appear to be getting pulled from the Google CDN in Los Angeles, CA. 

- I had to disable IPv6 at the router due to packet loss upstream... this is a long standing ISP problem.

- If I manually set the stream to 2160p60 then the Roku still refuses to buffer and exhibits the skipping problem, regardless of whether traffic is being sent via QUIC(UDP) or HTTP(TCP).

- If I seek within the video after getting a successfully buffered 2160p60 stream via Auto settings, the video will not buffer and begin skipping.

Conclusions:

- Its possible that the ISP or other provider in between myself and the Google CDN is rate limiting UDP(QUIC) traffic at around 15Mbps. 

- Its possible that the ISP is traffic shaping this traffic or using something like Sandvine to downgrade 2160p60 streams (and auto mode "tricks" it). 

- Google may be purposely downgrading service to Roku users.

- Roku may have a bug in its software or in the authorized YouTube app. 

- Roku may have a problem with QUIC connectivity.

Additional info:

- I'm now on a 300Mbps plan. No change in the problem. 

- I also have a new Cable modem - no change in problem.

- The TCL Roku TV is the only device in the house that exhibits this behavior on 4K content.

- Both PC and Roku playing the same 4K stream appear to be pulling from the same LA based CDN.

At any rate... disabling QUIC seems to have made it slightly better than before. I think its unlikely that the ISP is really at fault for this as the Roku is the only device that seems to have this problem with 4K content, and only on YouTube. 

0 Kudos
cyberbytli
Channel Surfer

@ektoplasm have you submitted a support ticket for this issue, in addition to the information shared in this forum? Seems Roku and Google (YouTube) should be investigating this as well, since many other folks are also impacted. 

0 Kudos
ektoplasm
Streaming Star

@cyberbytli wrote:

@ektoplasm have you submitted a support ticket for this issue, in addition to the information shared in this forum? Seems Roku and Google (YouTube) should be investigating this as well, since many other folks are also impacted. 

One of the Roku reps had a few of us provide the support tracking number for our devices early on in the thread. 

Unfortunately, nobody from Roku has reached out to me nor has there been any movement on the issue that I've been made aware of. Since the Roku firmware has been broken since last year, and doesn't appear to be getting any traction at Roku, I think it's unlikely that Roku will be doing anything to address the issue.

Due to the lack of response from Roku I will no longer consider purchasing any Roku devices in the future nor will I be considering any models of TVs that include Roku firmware from the factory. My plan is to ditch these devices as soon as is practical and buy another product that functions as advertised.

0 Kudos
ghettopat

Having same issues. @RokuDanny-R 

Model:7111X

Serial: YNOOP64O8222

Software: 10.5.0 build 4210-30

Issue 22-165-818

Playing 4K video on YouTube app at 2160p

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ghettopat

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cyberbytli
Channel Surfer

Please let us know when an un-crippled version of the YouTube app will be released. 

Thanks for tracking down a solution to this issue.  This has driven me crazy and I just gave up a long time ago, until I stumbled on this thread.  Not that there's that much 4k 60FPS eye candy on YouTube.

I knew it wasn't my ISP speeds (1GB/1GB) and it happened on WiFi and Wired so I figured it might be a processing power issue of the TV's SOC, glad it's not.

I've always wondered about the business and technical relationship between an ISP and CDN... My ISP is a small regional provider so their CDN 'strategy?' might be part of the problem.?  I assume if all Roku devices have issues with 4k@60 YouTube content, this would get a lot more attention.

0 Kudos
milika

I have similar problem with my Hisense. Can I get your useragent so I can see what's different?

Just navigate on your tv to, for example: https://www.whatsmyua.info/

Thanks

0 Kudos