cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Connecting without HDMI ARC-CEC

Jump to solution

I purchased the onn. Roku Smart soundbar, wireless speakers, and subwoofer. My TV does not support HDMI CEC connections. Is it still possible to control TV power with the supplied Roku Standard remote (IR version)? Also, the soundbar is connected to the TV with just an HDMI that is not labeled as ARC, but seems to be working. Is the Optical Cable neccessary? 

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Connecting without HDMI ARC-CEC

Jump to solution

Yes, the rc-al7r voice remote when paired to a roku connected to a non-roku tv it controls the tv by IR after picking your brand. When the same remote is paired to a roku tv, then it controls the tv power & volume by wifi.

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Only the onn roku knows IR commands mapped to the tv keys on the Onn remote. They NEVER change, when the Roku sees the Onn remote tv commands it initiates hdmi-cec pulse over the hdmi cable to control the tv its connected to, if the tv doesn't have hdmi-cec feature it won't control it, sorry. 

If you bought the wireless roku speakers that come with the two remotes,you try pairing the voice remote to the soundbar, then program it to control your tv by IR, using your tv's IR code set, or buy a voice remote separately.  

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Are you saying that the roku voice remote also emits IR and is capable of being programed to the TV?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Yes, the rc-al7r voice remote when paired to a roku connected to a non-roku tv it controls the tv by IR after picking your brand. When the same remote is paired to a roku tv, then it controls the tv power & volume by wifi.

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

If the rc-al7r remote controls both TV volume and power, will that interfere when adjusting volume on the smart soundbar? (I.e. how will the remote know that i only want to adjust volume on the soundbar and not send an IR signal to the TV as well)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

I'm was mistaken, only tv power can be programmed by IR, not the volume. Sorry but without hdmi-cec it will not work. Smiley Sad

Of course you could get a universal remote, the soundbar uses the same roku IR commands that roku ten years old did, and it would be programmable for many tv brands. I suggest the Inteset 422-3 universal remote:

https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Universal-Backlit-Learning-Devices/dp/B00M4JYTWA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2KUU...

It would give access to advanced codes(EFC's) they're 5 digit codes for individual functions like Disney+ 00070 and many other apps. 

Edmund
0 Kudos