Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Themillers4213
Level 7

Connecting a soundbar with RCA inputs

I have the inexpensive Phillips Roku tv. Can it be used with a soundbar that only has RCA audio inputs? Everything is hooked up but can’t seem to get sound. Soundbar works perfectly with RCA connections on every other tv in the house.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting a soundbar with RCA inputs

The RCA jacks on the roku tv are INPUTS, the RCA jacks on your sound bar are also INPUTS, no communication. You need audio OUTPUT on the tv to send sound to the INPUT on the sound bar. The only audio out on the roku tv is optical, and the hdmi arc. There is the headphone jack on the tv?

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jpantoja19
Level 7

I also have a philips roku tv and trying to connect a sound bar that only has RCA connectors to the roku tv. Just to be clear are you saying that this type of connection using only RCA connectors will not work?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Correct, it won't work. You need sound to go from the tv to the soundbar, the rca connectors on the roku tv are inputs only, not outputs. The only audio outputs on the roku tv are the optical and hdmi arc. The headphone jack on the tv  is an audio out too, a mini-phonoplug to rca cable might get you sound?

Edmund

0 Kudos
Laxdog83
Level 7

Hello I tried this but was having issues so I tried the hdmi route. I have a rca only Receiver and have the rca connected to a rca to hdmi transfer box then a hdmi to the hdmi 1 arc output. All wires and box are new from Best Buy but I still can’t get sound to my floor speakers. Can you help the CEC won’t find my device. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Those convertors come in two varieties rca to hdmi or hdmi to rca, each one is separate and isn't two way, so are you sure you bought the right one? 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Laxdog83
Level 7

I am not too sure which one I got, I got the amplifier and speakers from a pawn shop and saw that since it has a setting to switch to video. That it would work if I plugged my tv into it. The last thing I am going to try will be going from a digital optical audio cable to a box that converts it to rca and plug that into my receiver. Thank you for your reply

0 Kudos
rukus2020
Level 7

optical output to RCA soundbar not working

I'm attempting to connect my existing soundbar (with RCA inputs) through the optical output of my Sharp 55" Roku TV (https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sharp-55-4k-uhd-led-smart-tv-lc-55lbu711c-only-at-best-buy/1332...). However, I am not getting any sound out of the soundbar. I tried adjusting the audio settings from auto-detect to DTS, Dolby, and the other options in the list. In all cases, no audio from the soundbar. Audio was still coming from the TV speakers, as if there was no soundbar attached. The optical cable appears to be connected properly, as there is light coming out the other end. Of note, I purchased an optical to RCA adapter from Amazon, so perhaps that's a factor in this issue (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06WP2KPGR ). 

Would love to hear from anyone who has successfully used the optical output for audio to an RCA soundbar. Thank you.

0 Kudos
rukus2020
Level 7

Curious if you've had luck with connecting the optical output to a soundbar? I've tried but have not been able to get any output on my soundbar. That said, I'm using an optical cable into an optical to RCA converter box for my soundbar.

0 Kudos
Laxdog83
Level 7

Yes! So I got it all figured out, I have anesse roku tv so I only have two audio out outputs. 1.ditigial optical. 2. 3.5mm aux. I was able to get a $2 3.5 to two female rca cable then just ice simple rcas going from that to my receiver and my tv plays music and sound out my floor speakers they work great and no distortion or lag. I didn’t get to try the digital optical route but yours should work. Make sure you go to settings and try to change the audio setting to pcm stereo. If you have problems reply and I’ll help you out cause I struggled with my system for a bit too.

0 Kudos