Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KeithO
Reel Rookie

Connecting a new Roku device to an older Roku TV

Jump to solution

I have an older Sharp Roku TV. The Roku functions got so slow that I connected a Fire Stick to it. The Fire Stick is not impressing me so I am wondering if I can connect a new Roku device to my Roku TV and have the remote etc. use only the new device?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting a new Roku device to an older Roku TV

Jump to solution

@KeithO 

Yes, in the similar manner that you used your firestick, you can also use a new Roku device with a RokuTV.   If you get a Roku device with the Voice Remote (TV controls), then can control both the new Roku device as well as the RokuTV (switching Inputs, AntennaTV, etc).

Personally, though, I think using a dumb/non-smart TV with a Roku device is my preferred preference.  I find the RokuTV to be a little sluggish overall, and a little annoying when trying to watch antenna/OTA TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@KeithO 

Yes, in the similar manner that you used your firestick, you can also use a new Roku device with a RokuTV.   If you get a Roku device with the Voice Remote (TV controls), then can control both the new Roku device as well as the RokuTV (switching Inputs, AntennaTV, etc).

Personally, though, I think using a dumb/non-smart TV with a Roku device is my preferred preference.  I find the RokuTV to be a little sluggish overall, and a little annoying when trying to watch antenna/OTA TV.

KeithO
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I purchased a new Roku Ultra LT to connect to my Sharp Roku TV and installed it last evening.

Overall this worked.  What I was unsure about was if the new remote would be "seen" by both the Roku Ultra and the Sharp Roku TV where each remote click would act on both.  During the setup of the Ultra, there was a step to pair the Ultra to the new remote.  Note that I connected the Ultra to the ARC HDMI port on the TV so that when the TV turns on, it instructs the Ultra to turn on as well.  I then set up the TV to startup on the ARC HDMI port so the TV boots up straight to the new Ultra.

I also am able to use the old Sharp Roku TV remote to get back to the main TV menu to access my OTA connection and the TV settings.  This is good.

The only minor odd thing is when I turn off the TV with the new Ultra remote, the Ultra stays on, unlike the Ultra on another non-Roku TV that I have.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@KeithO 

I have the older 4660x Ultra model and the LED lights still work regarding sleep (goes off) and remote presses (dims/flashes with presses).

I do believe that @renojim and others have mentioned that the newer 4880x is encountering some LED issues with OS 10.5 (either lights stay on or don't come on, but otherwise operate fine).  Perhaps he can weigh in or I can try to find one of his postings where he mentions this. 

If the light thing becomes an issue for you, can always plug into a power strip with surge protection (recommended anyways) and turn the strip off when done with streaming or use a power strip w/timer.  I am thinking the LED issue will be addressed in a future update as Roku has been made aware of the issue.

I will edit this post when I find the links regarding this LED issue and in front of a computer. 

0 Kudos