Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Traven
Level 7

Connecting Roku Soundbar to HDTV without HDMI ARC

I have a fairly new Samsung Smart TV, but it does not have HDMI ARC on it. If I buy a Roku Soundbar and connect it with a normal HDMI or Optical Output on the TV, will I be able to control the soundbar volume with the remote that comes with the sound bar? Long story short, I want to use ONLY the soundbar for my volume and want to only use 1 remote for everything, the remote that comes with the soundbar. Will this work or would I need a HDTV with an HDMI ARC connection?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting Roku Soundbar to HDTV without HDMI ARC

The hdmi-ARC is needed to send signals in both directions via one cable. Without ARC you need the combination of a regular hdmi and optical. 

The Walmart Onn roku smart soundbar comes with an IR remote, to control the tv the tv needs hdmi-cec. The IR commands on the Onn SB remote never change, when the roku soundbar sees the IR it sends a signal over the hdmi cable to control the tv its connected with. There no need to program a tv brand because ALL brands of TV when they have hdmi-cec feature ALL respond to the same commands coming over the hdmi cable. 

The Roku branded Roku smart soundbar comes with a wifi voice remote, it can programmed to power a non-roku tv by brand but not the volume. It can only control the tv volume by hdmi-cec like the onn IR remote.  So if you tv lack hdmi-cec or if its turned off you can't use roku soundbar, sorry. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos