Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Connecting Phone to Tv

Jump to solution

Brand New TCL Roku Tv will not connect to anything but wireless network.

I cannot get usb tethering from my phone to work, though my phone works through other devices and I also cant get a USB to HDMI cable to work to project my phone screen onto the tv. My phone shows that its charging so its fully plugged in. My main goal is to use the unlimited internet i have on my phone for the TV but the TV wants to only connect to my Hotspot instead of using my phone as a modem/screen projecting. Am I missing a setting or step to make my phone connect??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Connecting Phone to Tv

Jump to solution

Roku devices don't support USB tethering. If your Roku device doesn't have an Ethernet connection, then WiFi is your only available method of connecting to the Internet. There's a handful of Roku TVs that have been able to use a USB network dongle, but that won't work with phone tethering. It only provides a way to make an Ethernet connection. 

And as far as screen sharing/projecting, that will only work with Android devices. If you have an iPhone, Apple doesn't support screen sharing. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Im having the same issues which is how I happened upon you post, wow no replies.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

Roku devices don't support USB tethering. If your Roku device doesn't have an Ethernet connection, then WiFi is your only available method of connecting to the Internet. There's a handful of Roku TVs that have been able to use a USB network dongle, but that won't work with phone tethering. It only provides a way to make an Ethernet connection. 

And as far as screen sharing/projecting, that will only work with Android devices. If you have an iPhone, Apple doesn't support screen sharing. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos