Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Connecting PS4 to Roku soundbar

My Roku is not connected to my PlayStation and I don’t know how to do it. People said to download Vue Media but apparently that’s discontinued now... my Roku is connected directly to the TV although the PS4 is on a different HDMI. What do I do and why is this so difficult? I’ve been having to use headphones to play my PlayStation for months after buying an expensive soundbar, that doesn’t seem right at all. Please help. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Connecting PS4 to Roku soundbar

You can't just plug the Roku soundbar into any hdmi, it works when plugged into hdmi arc input. If your tv doesn't have an arc input, then you use a regular hdmi input along with optical. 

It comes down to a regular hdmi only sends video & audio in one direction, in this case the roku soundbar to the tv. What you need is for audio to go from the tv back to the soundbar, that's where the optical output on the tv sends audio to the optical input of the soundbar. 

With a hdmi-arc, it does both, it sends video and audio to the tv from the soundbar, and at the same time can send audio from the tv to the soundbar. You never use the arc input at the same time you use the optical. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So when I was setting it up I put it into the HDMI arc but for some reason it wouldn’t connect that way (maybe my TV is too old) so then I connected it to the optical just like you said. But thanks to your reply the issue is resolved!! I realized the hdmi was still in arc so I just put it to another one and boom boom it works!! Thank you so much xx 

Highlighted
Level 7

So I am running into the same issues.. I have the Onn Roku sound bar and have the HDMI going out to the TV.. and then have the Optical Connected to TV as well. But I cannot figure out how to get sound from the playstation back into the sound bar.. are you able to post pictures of your set up? #ps4 #onn 

0 Kudos