Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfden
Level 7

Connect MacBook to Roku TV?

I have a Smart-Roku TV connected into my high-speed wireless network.

How can I connect my MacBook Pro to my Smart-Roku TV?

I can link wirelessly through an AppleTV box using the TV's HDMI port, but I want to connect directly. However, when I go to the Roku settings for adding a device, it does not allow me to add the computer. Is there a way to reset or expand the settings?

BTW, I can connect my computer directly through an HDMI cable, I suppose, but then I'd have a long cord snaking across the room, which is far from ideal.

I'm wide open to your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lesmikesell
Level 13

Re: Connect MacBook to Roku TV?

If you want your macbook screen on the TV, the HDMI cable may be the only way to do it (a windows computer would have a compatible screen sharing mode).   If you want content like videos, music, or photos that are on your macbook to show on the TV, you could install the Plex server on the macbook and use plex on the roku tv to access it.   Both are free for that use, although you have the option to pay for some other services.

0 Kudos
hail_0728
Level 7

You can download an app called mirror for roku on your mac but you have to have your computer updated and mine wasnt but once you update it or if it already is you just find what ever tv it is and then it should be mirrored on your tv. Its actually pretty easy

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

If the TV in question is one of the 4k models that received the update that included airplay, it should now be possible to mirror a macbook/ipad/iphone wirelessly to the the TV without additional software.  At the time the question was asked, it would not have been.  And the third party mirror app should still be an option for TVs that did not receive airplay.

0 Kudos