Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamlet
Level 8

Computer + Roku TCL + HDMI cable = wonky

When I got my t.v. and first set it up, I selected some channels/apps from the store,
one was labled PC.  I go there, plug in to the HDMI to both laptop and tv,
but my laptop screen shrunk very tiny font, and the all I saw on the tv was
something that looked like picture in picture, but smaller all inside the app labled "PC". 
So to recap, As soon as I plugged in the HDMI cable, I got 4k on my laptop,
and 0.25k on my t.v., wtf?

I don't want to "cast" anything, not yet. I just want a hardwired solution first. Baby steps... Help?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Computer + Roku TCL + HDMI cable = wonky

Do you have a Roku TV?

If so, please post more info and describe the problem a little better.. make and model of the TV, and describe what you're trying to do.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
hamlet
Level 8

TcL-43" 43s405 is what I have.  I want to be able to switch to Mac laptop or PC, using a hdmi cable (no wireless casting!)
and use my tv as a monitor.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

You have to set the resolution of your laptop to match the native resolution of the Roku monitor.. your laptop should see it as a second monitor.. make sure the resolution of that second monitor matches that of the Roku.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
hamlet
Level 8

This isn't helpful, at all.
I'll check back in when I find the answer so everyone who stumbles on this thread can have the solution too.

Until then, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"hamlet" wrote:
When I got my t.v. and first set it up, I selected some channels/apps from the store, one was labled PC.  I go there, plug in to the HDMI to both laptop and tv, but my laptop screen shrunk very tiny font, and the all I saw on the tv was something that looked like picture in picture, but smaller all inside the app labled "PC".  

So to recap, As soon as I plugged in the HDMI cable, I got 4k on my laptop, and 0.25k on my t.v., wtf?...

"hamlet" wrote:
TcL-43" 43s405 is what I have.  I want to be able to switch to Mac laptop or PC, using a hdmi cable (no wireless casting!)
and use my tv as a monitor.

First, understand that I don't have a Roku TV, so the information I have about that TV is from a Web search. I found the manual online, and it says that device has two HDMI inputs.

From what I read, you're connecting your computer to the TV using HDMI, and then launching some app called "PC" to view your computer's screen. Am I reading all that right?

If so, I have to ask, why are you using an app to see the computer screen? Why aren't you simply switching to an HDMI input and viewing that way? Maybe a little more explanation might be in order.

From what I'm reading in the manual, you can connect devices. Yes, it allows for labels of the inputs, but it really shouldn't matter what you label it during setup. In fact, according to page 58 of the manual, all you'd need to do is connect the computer then boot it up. The TV would auto-detect a new device and and the input to the Home screen. You could then select that input and watch the input on the screen.

Again, I might be missing something here, so if you can elaborate or correct any bad assumption I've made, perhaps a solution may then be apparent.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"hamlet" wrote:
This isn't helpful, at all.
I'll check back in when I find the answer so everyone who stumbles on this thread can have the solution too.

Until then, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Jeff offered assistance, and you brushed him off. Doesn't really make the rest of us want to help. But anyway, I have a Roku TV that I use all the time as a TV monitor. You don't have to install any TV app of any kind. If you did, that might be the issue. 
I connect the HDMI cable from my docking station to the TV HDMI port, and when I switch to that port on the Roku TV my laptop is there in full 4K resolution. Now in the TV HDMI port settings, you can label it as a computer, which I believe changes some possible HDMI handshake settings. But what Jeff suggested still holds true. Not all computers will set themselves correctly to the proper resolution. You might need to changes something at the computer end as well. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
hamlet
Level 8

Sorry I was short and irritable. Been three days with this problem, and nothing but confusion. I believe the biggest problem
is with word definitions. Then, we have something called a "store", but I don't want to buy anything... I'm not the first to be tripped
up by this naming convention, thank you Apple, Android, etc.

I haven't owned a television in a dozen years. I'm coming from the personal computer world, & board level electronics. My phone is
tied to the wall with a string...

Ahem,

From Home>Settings > TV Inputs >"PC"> ̶R̶e̶n̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶   ̶R̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶  HDMI> ̶H̶D̶M̶I̶ ̶1̶.̶4̶  HDMI 2.0 A̶U̶T̶O̶ >Home

I had it as set as "AUTO". Silly me.