Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
horus66

Closed captioning inconsistent with apps on Roku

As I age, I find it a little harder to hear, so rather than increase the volume to annoying levels I utilize the closed captioning. On my "older" 40" Roku/TCL I never experienced this issue. Now, with my new 55" Roku/TCL, closed captioning is inconsistent. A online chat with a Roku CSR stated that the apps have their own Accessibility options but this is not accurate in every app available. Any help or guidance available? Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Closed captioning inconsistent with apps on Roku

Hi @horus66.

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

Thank you for reaching us regarding your closed captioning issue on your Roku TV. No worries, we're her to find you the best resolution.

We'd like to know more about this current issue that you are facing. Which channels are you having trouble with when it comes to closed captioning?

Here is our Support link for further details about closed captioning: Enable closed captioning

We look forward for your response and we'd be more than happy to assist you further with this.

All the best,

Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Closed captioning inconsistent with apps on Roku

@horus66-

More and more channels are not using the Roku default * remote key to access CC features but substituting their own method of access -- I'm guessing this is so they will have consistent controls with versions of their app running on platforms other than Roku. Often these options are accessed by pressing the up and/or down cursor control keys while viewing the program to pop the channel's own control options on the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos