Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TaraB1
Reel Rookie

Re: Ota channel guide multiple issues

Jump to solution

It's a system wide issue we just have to wait till they fix it. Ugh

cappuccino
Binge Watcher

Re: Channel Guide Info incorrect - Duplicate and incorrect OTA channel guide!!

Jump to solution

Danny and anyone at Roku troubleshooting this:

The brand of the TV DOESN'T MATTER.  This issue is affecting all of us across-the-board regardless of whether we have a Samsung RokuTV, a TCL, a Hisense or other brand!

My TV is a 65" Hisense Roku TV.

This ISN'T JUST ONE NETWORK LIKE ABC OR CBS. This issue is happening ACROSS-THE-BOARD, affecting most OTA TV networks.

This makes our OTA TV channel guides effectively completely useless. ROKU needs to FIX THIS immediately!! Why on earth would Roku think it is a brilliant idea for them to force its own guide on top of our guide?! Sure, I guess Roku needs to create a guide for the streaming channels. But stop messing with my OTA antenna TV channel guides!!!

Things I have tried that didn't work:

• Checking for system updates,
  • Rescanning OTA TV channels,
  • Resetting Wifi network,
  • System restart,
  • Disabling Fast TV start,
  • Reenabling Fast TV start,
  • Unplugging TV

I checked all of my OTA channels using an independent app, TV Guide, tuned to my local channels to see what I am supposed to be getting.

I am having this problem on most networks that broadcast multiple OTA channels. 

Examples:

* PBS -- (Hi-V) Five of my six PBS channels are duplicating what is on Channel 3.4. (WRONG!)

* NBC -- (Hi-V) The main channel, 8.1, does not show NBC but instead duplicates what is on channel 8.2. (WRONG!)

* CBS -- (Hi-V) The only network not showing duplicate channels.

* FOX -- (Hi-V) The main Fox channel, 13.1, is duplicating the info from 13.3. (WRONG!) 

* ABC -- (UHF) The main ABC channel, 28.1, is duplicating the info from a subchannel, 28.2 (WRONG!)

* CW -- (UHF) The main channel 44.1 is duplicating the info from a subchannel, 44.2. (WRONG!)

Per the FTC website, some of the aforementioned channels are on band Hi-V and some are UHF. All of the affected channels are strong OTA signals in my area.

Their RF (physical) channels are: 

PBS -- RF 18

NBC -- RF 9

FOX -- RF 12

ABC -- RF 17

CW -- RF 44

This is not a streaming channel issue. This is an OTA channel issue.

65" Hisense Roku TV (Costco model #65R7G5)
OTA TV antenna (indoor $20 RCA rabbit ears)
0 Kudos
cappuccino
Binge Watcher

Re: When I launch ROKU channel it causes my Digital TV Antenna channels to not show properly

Jump to solution

@JP1313 wrote:

It's a Roku issue do to the latest update 11.0.0.

If you disconnect your tv from the internet the guide goes back to being correct using the OTA guide.

Great idea; didn't work for me.

I disconnected from the internet.  All OTA channels are there, but the OTA guide is not. It shows "no information" on all channels.  Tried rebooting/channel rescan to no avail.

To think this is probably one line of code in a subroutine ...

TL;DR: This is not a workaround for everyone.  

I have a Hisense TV. I believe the person @JP1313 who tried this has a TCL TV?

65" Hisense Roku TV (Costco model #65R7G5)
OTA TV antenna (indoor $20 RCA rabbit ears)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When I launch ROKU channel it causes my Digital TV Antenna channels to not show properly

Jump to solution

Yes Yes Yes. I think you solved this problem.

Just get rid of all Roku channels on you ota channel guide. Or unfavor all channels that are not ota. 

I believe it's the mesh between ota and Roku channels. They'll fix it soon. It happens before to me. 

Rescanned and lost info from just a few channels. Rescanned yesterday and now all ota channels show NO Information. 

Yes they've got lots of problems. But they usually do get fixed eventually.

Will not buy roku tcl tv again. 

These tcl  televisions are not allowed on military installations. Due to too many open ports.

Google that one time now!

0 Kudos
Eross

Re: Antenna channel listing is incorrect.

Jump to solution

Having the same issue on 3 roku t.v’s. Antenna channel line up is wrong. Tried everything to fix the problem. Is roku trying to solve the problem? Cannot find roku phone number for customer service.

0 Kudos
cwcheese
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@TaraB1 

I've come to the same conclusion after a couple weeks of this. I also think this has nothing to do with any software update pushed out to our respective televisions, rather it seems to me there is something desperately wrong with the OTA TV listings EPG database that Roku is using to feed the online guide via internet connected televisions. My reasoning is based on the observed experience of myself and other commenters here that disconnecting internet will cause the OTA guide listing to suddenly show correct information; this is because the digital carrier signal contains embedded program information for most every channel (some few stations do not) that will populate into the guide. However, as soon as you reconnect to internet, the OTA guide immediately switches to the preferred EPG info source from Roku's database, and the erroneous guide data propagates all over.

Alas, the Roku dev team is likely working on it and will eventually fix it, despite any of us continuing to rant on this blog site. I remember the whole fiasco with the disastrous decision a year or so ago when Roku devs chose to combine the OTA and Roku Live channel guides together without any notification or warning. I got into the hue and cry, and it took many months before Roku dev team finally split the two guides back to the way they were before; this time I decided it isn't worth getting all worked up about it.

To a lot of people it may appear a simple switch, but this old software engineer knows that it is many, many times harder to fix what you broke than not break it at all. Perhaps Roku needs some farsighted architects to visualize use cases and failure modes, instead of just throwing stuff on the wall like a handful of spaghetti to see if it sticks.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Great information. Thanks

They should hire you. You seem to understand most any problem Roku users encounter.

You've got my recommendation and 5 kudos. 

Thanks again Peace out.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Local listings are incorrect - how do I report it?

Jump to solution

Hi @HouMid,

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry to hear about the experience, that's not what we aim for.

Please be noted that are currently aware and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely.

In the meantime, please help us with the required details below for us to send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team, and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-what region are you located in
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-what troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue
-screenshots of the issue you are seeing

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Program guide is wrong and is listing repeated programs on the channel.

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community!

We are currently aware and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely.

In the meantime, please help us with the required details below for us to send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team, and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-what troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue
-screenshots of the issue you are seeing

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Program guide is wrong and is listing repeated programs on the channel.

Jump to solution

Hi @scottpatrick,

Thanks for posting and providing the details.

Can we request additional information which includes:

-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Roku team who can assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos