Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peatrick
Level 9

Cannot stream content to Roku across VLANs.

There's been one or two ancient posts discussing this topic, but wasn't ever able to find a suitable solution after much web sleuthing, so perhaps the hive mind of the official forums can try to assist.  Our phones, PCs and tablets (mix of Android, Linux and Windows 10 devices) exist on the primary "trusted" VLAN, we'll call 192.168.1.0/24.  I have my Roku TV split off onto a separate VLAN for unsecured / "untrusted" IoT type devices and want to be able to properly cast to this subnet called 192.168.100.0/24.  Has anyone accomplished this using rules on their router and wireless access point?

I'm using an Edgerouter coupled with a UniFi wireless access point and have checked the appropriate box for Multicast Enhancement -- Enable multicast enhancement (IGMPv3) and then proceeded to set up associated Firewall rules to allow specific types of traffic across the VLANs.  Are any specific ports for Roku casting required, that perhaps I'm lacking? The difficulty arises with our inability to cast media across these subnets, but the Roku remote app works fine once I manually connect it to 192.168.100.107 IP of the Roku TV, even across VLANs.  Casting, however fails to connect.  I believe this to be due to the network setup with multiple VLANs for network segmentation, but the same type setup works fine for my Chromecast, which is also being used to stream content across VLANs, so I believe my mDNS setup to be correct.  What else am I missing here?

I have this TCL 55" P607, which came with this remote:

Would be curious to hear any feedback or results you've encountered in your attempts along the way, even if you've tried something similar and weren't successful. This continues to elude me.  Thanks in advance for anyone who may be able to contribute to my little (self-induced) dilemma.

EDIT:  New forums/boards are a bit interesting to try and get used to.  Content will most certainly need to be cleaned up/out.  Struggle to make my previous posts somewhat readable.

#1 mage.
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Cannot stream content to Roku across VLANs.

When you say casting, you mean screen mirroring? Miracast is very limited compared to Chromecast. Very picky about Video Drivers and Network drivers on your laptops Windows-wise. Android-wise Google has been ceasing support for it on it's flagship devices. I would never use a Roku in a Business environment. Chromecast works better.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
peatrick
Level 9

I'm sorry, by "cast" i mean to sling media to my Roku tv, via an Android app -- such as Plex, or YouTube Kids, or regular YouTube, or pretty much anything, typically represented by these icons.

Only my laptop supports the actual Miracast projection to my wireless display (in this case, the same TCL Roku TV).  I'm not sure how many of the other devices support Miracast.  My apologies for being less than clear.

EDIT:  This is what I had to do in order to make the same sort of streaming across VLANs to work on my router and wireless access points, enabling mDNS, etc.
#1 mage.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"peatrick" wrote:
I'm sorry, by "cast" i mean to sling media to my Roku tv, via an Android app -- such as Plex, or YouTube Kids, or regular YouTube, or pretty much anything, typically represented by these icons.

Only my laptop supports the actual Miracast projection to my wireless display (in this case, the same TCL Roku TV).  I'm not sure how many of the other devices support Miracast.  My apologies for being less than clear.

Plex, you have to be actually have the Channel running on the Roku device for casting to work and both have to be linked to the same Plex account. YouTube, you have to Link the devices via a code. You can't just have someone walk in with a phone and directly start using the Roku via casting. Requires setup to link the two devices. Netflix just errored out on me saying I had to have both Phone and Roku on same account as well.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
peatrick
Level 9

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"peatrick" wrote:

Plex, you have to be actually have the Channel running on the Roku device for casting to work and both have to be linked to the same Plex account. YouTube, you have to Link the devices via a code. You can't just have someone walk in with a phone and directly start using the Roku via casting. Requires setup to link the two devices.

Thank you again for your prompt response and attention to my issue(s).  I do grasp the fundamentals of slinging media from our mobile devices to the Roku itself.  Things work fine if I connect my phone to the separate SSID (and associated VLAN) that the "untrusted" IoT devices are connected to, however it does NOT work when connected normally to my main, or primary "trusted" VLAN.  I do apologize for the inconsistencies with my terminology and lack of clarity with my original request.  This issue stems from having multiple subnets and is more a general networking question, than related to basic casting/streaming from mobile to Roku.  That works fine.
#1 mage.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"peatrick" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:
"peatrick" wrote:

Plex, you have to be actually have the Channel running on the Roku device for casting to work and both have to be linked to the same Plex account. YouTube, you have to Link the devices via a code. You can't just have someone walk in with a phone and directly start using the Roku via casting. Requires setup to link the two devices.

Thank you again for your prompt response and attention to my issue(s).  I do grasp the fundamentals of slinging media from our mobile devices to the Roku itself.  Things work fine if I connect my phone to the separate SSID (and associated VLAN) that the "untrusted" IoT devices are connected to, however it does NOT work when connected normally to my main, or primary "trusted" VLAN.  I do apologize for the inconsistencies with my terminology and lack of clarity with my original request.  This issue stems from having multiple subnets and is more a general networking question, than related to basic casting/streaming from mobile to Roku.  That works fine.

Have you Wiresharked it? Should show where the attempt is and where it's failing. Especially on Windows.
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
peatrick
Level 9

I downloaded Wireshark three days ago and never installed it.  Are you aware of any specific ports that need to be open, or holes I should be punching in the internal firewall between the VLANs?  I can't figure out what else I'm missing, it's gotta be something fairly straightforward.  The rest of my multicast/mDNS with the various Chromecast and Google Home devices work fine.  For Plex, I allow TCP Port 32400 across the IoT VLAN to allow streaming from my media server.

It takes ~3 seconds to switch WiFi networks if we need to stream to the Roku, but it'd still be nice to work out the kinks.  Thanks again for your continued attention... guess I'll brush up Wireshark and head down that path.  Can't even remember the last time I used it.  Was never particularly strong with networking, if that wasn't already obvious.
#1 mage.
0 Kudos
peatrick
Level 9

"peatrick" wrote:
Multicast Enhancement -- Enable multicast enhancement (IGMPv3)

Anyone else figured out using their Roku television / streaming stick(s) across VLANs or SSIDs?  Thanks you kindly!
#1 mage.
0 Kudos
peatrick
Level 9

"peatrick" wrote:
Anyone else figured out using their Roku television / streaming stick(s) across VLANs or SSIDs?  Thanks you kindly!

Hello there.  <bump>
#1 mage.
0 Kudos
peatrick
Level 9

Bump.
#1 mage.
0 Kudos