Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Cannot calibrate HDR/DV colorspace - R625

My husband and I recently purchased a TCL R625 and we are unable to calibrate the HDR colorspace for HDR10 or Dolby Vision using expert settings in the Roku app. We have a meter and software to perform professional calibrations.

Whenever we attempt to use "custom" for the colorspace it simply brings up the settings we used to calibrate SDR. 

But whenever we attempt to modify the settings for HDR they override the previous settings for SDR making proper calibration for both impossible. The problem is that the mobile app is not differentiating between SDR and HDR colorspace.

We tested the expert settings in the Roku app on 3 different phones, a moto z3, a galaxy s8, and a galaxy s10 all with the same exact result, so it isnt a problem with any particular phone.

Roku app version we used is the latest version on the Google playstore and tv software is the latest version, 6106-88.

Any help or bringing this to the attention of an engineer would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

buggychoo

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Cannot calibrate HDR/DV colorspace - R625

@buggychoo  Thanks for the note. Our team is looking into this, but I don't have any updates to share at this time. Have you tried using TCL's own iPQ engine mobile calibration app? You can check it out here: 

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tcl.android.ipq&hl=en_US

I'd recommend contacting TCL support directly for additional help from there, and to request any updates around the initial issue you encountered. I'll be sure to provide any updates that I hear in the future. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks Tanner, we tried going through ticketing support but they did the typical entry level IT thing where they just kept asking us for the same information a number of different times in an attempt to get us to just go away...

In an attempt to find a solution I found this thread on Rtings, which shows that more than one person is having this and other problems with the Roku App.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussions/W3YG6cDx_usyJem1/here-is-a-fix-for-the-rokutv-mobile-app-not-d...

Apparently the older version of the app (anything before version 5.0) shows more settings for HDR but even the older app is still unable to differentiate the color-space between HDR, DV and SDR content, making HDR formats impossible to calibrate. I can confirm this after installing version 4.2.8.3 on my Galaxy S10.

This really needs to be shot up the ladder to an engineer or someone in management as its a basic feature that is advertised as working in the manual, and its preventing any kind of accurate calibration of the display in HDR formats.

Thanks,

buggychoo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Hi Tanner,

Can I ask why you keep giving the same generic  BS answer to everyone that asks about this problem?? Roku Technical Team are not looking into it!!! 

I have contacted them many times regarding this issue and this is the response they have given me:

CR-Diana V., Jan 6, 08:26 PST:

Hello Pat,

I hope you are doing great.

Thank you very much for your feedback, I will share the information sent with the developing team.

I escalate again your email but unfortunately, my supervisor does not have further details about this feature.

In this case, our recommendation is to put your question on the community blog to get a response from one of the community managers that have more information about this. I will put you the link below:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Mobile-App/ROKU-APP-QUESTION-ON-ANDROID-PHONE/m-p/510817

I want to apologize for this situation and I remain at your service.

Best regards,
Roku Technical Support
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Really they should include a proper CMS (color management system) in the TV software itself instead of this half baked app system that apparently hasn't been working for a year or so. It would be convenient if it actually worked considering when you take measurements with a color meter there's no menus getting in the way of readings but the idea is executed extremely poorly in this case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

BuggyChoo. I replied to another post you made and in that post I suggested to you to use the old app version of 4.2 or lower but I see in this thread you already downloaded it. It still doesn't work for you huh? Good luck getting an answer from TCL or Roku. I have been complaining about this for a year. They don't care and it's BS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Thanks for continuing to share your reports here. We have passed these along to the team, and they are continuing to work on this, but for the time being I do not have any updates to share. I apologize for the inconvenience, but rest assured, your complaints have been relayed.

I will continue to provide any further updates that I hear. In the meantime, I would recommend using the TV's remote to access settings during playback by pressing the * key, or trying to use TCL's own app referenced above in this thread. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Thanks Tanner. It's not your fault but I have no faith that it will be fixed so I just use the older version app but it still should be fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Scott are you able to make seperate adjustments for HDR colorspace in expert settings with the older app? I tried and it just brings up the adjustments made for SDR and then overwrites them when we try to adjust those values.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

No I can not. The is the apps problem. This needs to be fixed.

0 Kudos