Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Can you plug a new roku device into an older roku tv?

As with all devices that use software, newer updates eventually make older devices run sluggishly. So my 43” Sharp Roku TV is running pretty sluggishly. Lots Of hesitating, blank episode pictures, etc. So, my question is, could I plug a brand new external Roku device into my old roku tv without them freaking out and increase the speed and capability of the roku operating system? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Can you plug a new roku device into an older roku tv?

Yes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

It should work. The only issue would be if the Roku device and TV tried to use the same remote codes. I think the TV's are usually a different code, though, so I don't think that would be a problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

As @andyross mentioned, if the new Roku uses an IR remote, you could have the remote attempting to control both devices. I used an Ultra connected to a Sharp Roku 4K TV with no issues, but the Ultra uses a WiFi Direct remote. But the two remotes never interacted with the wrong device. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos