Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mcse4u
Level 7

Can you plug a new roku device into an older roku tv?

As with all devices that use software, newer updates eventually make older devices run sluggishly. So my 43” Sharp Roku TV is running pretty sluggishly. Lots Of hesitating, blank episode pictures, etc. So, my question is, could I plug a brand new external Roku device into my old roku tv without them freaking out and increase the speed and capability of the roku operating system? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can you plug a new roku device into an older roku tv?

Yes

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

It should work. The only issue would be if the Roku device and TV tried to use the same remote codes. I think the TV's are usually a different code, though, so I don't think that would be a problem.

0 Kudos
atc98092

As @andyross mentioned, if the new Roku uses an IR remote, you could have the remote attempting to control both devices. I used an Ultra connected to a Sharp Roku 4K TV with no issues, but the Ultra uses a WiFi Direct remote. But the two remotes never interacted with the wrong device. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
CouchPotatoes
Level 7

I'm wondering more how a new roku plug in would work on an old Roku TV (TLC)? Ours is sluggish. Doesn't support apple TV. No longer supports HBO Now. Amazon and Netflix freeze.  Would I have to use both the old (TV) and new (Roku plugin) remote? Or would the new remote work to both turn the TV on, toggle to AV inputs (cable antenna, DVD player) and to select apps, etc.?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@CouchPotatoes wrote:

Would I have to use both the old (TV) and new (Roku plugin) remote? Or would the new remote work to both turn the TV on, toggle to AV inputs (cable antenna, DVD player) and to select apps, etc.?

When I connected my Ultra 4640 to a brand new Sharp Roku TV, I had to use both remotes. But that was because my 4640 remote didn't have a power button. I have a small Insignia Roku TV that currently has an Express 4K+ connected. I can control everything with just the Express remote, but that's because it only has to control the power and volume. If I want to switch to OTA TV or a different HDMI port, then the original TV remote is needed.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos