Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Can you get the roku remote to control TV power but NOT TV volume

Jump to solution

So I currently have a 2 remote set up (1 for the roku/turning the TV on, 1 for the sound bar)

When I saw the release for the Streambar I was excited because I thought I'd then be able to only have to have 1 remote now. However, after thinking about it more I realized it would also control the TV volume too. As most of today's TV's have terrible built in speakers, I only want the volume to come from the sound bar, not the TV

So, is there any way to program the remote to turn the TV on/off and ONLY the streambar volume, NOT the TV volume? 

Seems like a pretty simple task

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 20

Re: Can you get the roku remote to control TV power but NOT TV volume

Jump to solution

The Roku streambar remote controls the streambar by wifi, and then controls the tv by hdmi-cec. That how the tv remote can control the Streambar volume too. Turn off the cec feature on your tv, roku remote would only control the streambar. Then tv power button wouldn't work either. 

When the roku smart soundbar came out you couldn't program a tv brand in it was only by hdmi-cec, after update it allows to program the roku remote to control the tv by IR if the tv doesn't have cec. I'm sure this goes for streambar as well. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well, it would be a simple task if Roku would allow it. I have a non-Roku soundbar which I control with its own remote. If I touch the mute or volume control buttons on the Roku remote, an opaque message appears for ten seconds in the middle of the screen: "Your tv is set to use external speakers. Adjust the volume on the connected speakers directly". This message confirms what took me an hour to determine on the Roku-related sites - No, there isn't a way at present to control non-Roku speakers with the Roku remote. **bleep**.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Very annoying

Should be such a simple solution

0 Kudos
Level 20

Jump to solution

The Roku streambar remote controls the streambar by wifi, and then controls the tv by hdmi-cec. That how the tv remote can control the Streambar volume too. Turn off the cec feature on your tv, roku remote would only control the streambar. Then tv power button wouldn't work either. 

When the roku smart soundbar came out you couldn't program a tv brand in it was only by hdmi-cec, after update it allows to program the roku remote to control the tv by IR if the tv doesn't have cec. I'm sure this goes for streambar as well. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos