Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yaya00
Level 7

Can't Connect

My daughter is at college and we purchased the TCL 32" HD Roku Smart LED TV for her dorm room. She has it for about a month now and she called us and said the remote is not working she did not have any new batteries to try at the moment. Would the batteries already be dead?  I looked up the manual and seen there was a remote control mobile app.  Until she could get to store to buy some batteries I told her about the app and told her to use that in the meantime. Well she said that it would not connect using her iphone 8 plus.  Any ideas why it is not connecting?  Could it have to do with the college's router? I will find out in the morning if the batteries was the remote's problem if not I guess we will be requesting a new one. thanks for any  help.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Re: Can't Connect

I'm guessing it's the batteries and she already figured that out. In the future, since it's an IR remote (not all Roku remotes are IR), tell her she can check if the remote is functioning by using the camera on her phone. When she views the end of the remote (that you'd point at the TV) through the camera on her phone she should see a bright flash of light every time she pushes a button. If it's dim or nonexistent, it's probably the batteries.

As for the app, someone else may have to chime in. I know schools have some pretty strange network setups, so that may explain why it doesn't work.

-JT
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Can't Connect

"yaya00" wrote:
My daughter is at college and we purchased the TCL 32" HD Roku Smart LED TV for her dorm room. She has it for about a month now and she called us and said the remote is not working she did not have any new batteries to try at the moment. Would the batteries already be dead?  I looked up the manual and seen there was a remote control mobile app.  Until she could get to store to buy some batteries I told her about the app and told her to use that in the meantime. Well she said that it would not connect using her iphone 8 plus.  Any ideas why it is not connecting?  Could it have to do with the college's router? I will find out in the morning if the batteries was the remote's problem if not I guess we will be requesting a new one. thanks for any  help.

It's possible the college wireless is blocking the connection between the phone and the Roku. Many public wireless networks don't allow connected devices to see each other for security reasons. Otherwise, anyone anywhere on the network could control her Roku. And that wouldn't be fun. Smiley Very Happy 
Could the remote batteries gone dead by now? Certainly possible. Batteries included with devices aren't always the highest quality, and might have lost some charge just sitting in the box. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos