Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruce8
Channel Surfer

Can't Change back to cable box from other apps

I'm using a TCL / Roku TV with Denon A/V receiver

When I turn on the TV I can watch cable or any apps, Netflix, Amzn, etc.

I can readily change from TV to Apps with no problem, but when I try to change from Apps back to Cable I only get audio with a black screen. I have to turn off the TV/Roku and then turn it back on (sometimes 2 or 3 three times ) before I can access cable again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: Can't Change back to cable box from other apps

@Bruce8  Are you using a cable box or did you plug a coaxial straight into the tv? 
On a side note you can save money by switching to a live tv streaming service such as Hulu + Live TV or YouTube TV. No more cable wires needed 

0 Kudos
Bruce8
Channel Surfer

Hi,

I have coaxial to the cable box, HDMI from the cable box to the a/v receiver, then HDMI to the ARC on TV,

(Per your sidenote, I'v recently been considering changing over to "you tube TV')

Thanks for getting back to me, I hope the connections noted above helps, (BTW I had the same problem when I had an older Onkyo receiver)

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Why don’t you try HDMI from cable box straight to the tv. Eliminate the receiver and see what happens 

0 Kudos
Bruce8
Channel Surfer

But if I do that, won't I lose my sound system from the receiver ?

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

It’s called basic troubleshooting. If the problem doesn’t occur when you eliminate the receiver and just use the TV speakers then the problem is with the receiver. Process of elimination 

0 Kudos
Bruce8
Channel Surfer

I will experiment, thank you

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Bruce8   I would try HDMI from Cable box to TV, then HDMI from ARC on TV to  HDMI ARC on receiver.  With that setup you should be able to take advantage of your receiver.  I assume your sound is fine now when using Netflix, Amazon etc...

0 Kudos
Bruce8
Channel Surfer

Thanks, I will try that

0 Kudos