Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngryatU

Can not stream SPECTRUM TV via Roku!

BEFORE you buy a Roku TV or device make sure that your internet provider/TV provider is available.   VERY DISAPPOINTED that Roku and Spectrum can not work out something so I can use my wifi and stream on my Roku TV.     I can with everything else in my home, but this tv.     We should be able to use the TV as we need it, just like we do with computers, tablets etc.     Not blocked from use.    I will never buy a ROKU product again.   Now it looks like other content providers will/are being blocked.    Makes the Roku device pretty useless indeed.

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Re: Can not stream SPECTRUM TV via Roku!

Yep, very annoying indeed.  I ended up buying an Apple TV 4K because of this.  

0 Kudos
seriksen
Channel Surfer

Roku has until Friday to fix the spectrum issue, otherwise I'm dumping them all for the new apple tv

0 Kudos
ppellegrini
Reel Rookie

Roku and Spectrum are both acting selfishly at the consumer's expense.  Seems to be a power play with a lot of innocent bystanders harmed in the crossfire.  They are simply a continuance of our society's inability to get along.

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Like I mentioned, I have the Spectrum app on my Apple TV 4K and not for anything but sadly, the Spectrum app sucks.  The guide is half crippled and doesn't let you view program info without switching to the channel, it doesn't tell you whether an episode of a show is new or a re-run, and the biggest problem is that it's only capable of 2-channel stereo audio.  It won't pass Dolby 5.1 so any movies or shows that have a full 5.1 or surround soundtrack will only come out in 2-channel stereo.  

I ended up getting a regular Spectrum cable box which does do full 5.1 audio, although the video is limited to 1080p. 

That said, the only reason I bought the Apple TV is for the Spectrum app.  Because Roku and Spectrum are having their little childish spat, it cost me $180 to find out that the Spectrum app is almost useless.  Fortunately the Apple TV 4K is a really good device so I've been using it as my primary streaming device instead of the apps on my Roku TV or my Firestick 4K.   The Firestick 4K is almost as good as the Apple TV though especially with the ability to sideload apps. 

0 Kudos
seriksen
Channel Surfer

Totally agree the app sucks, I don't watch any on demand movies via spectrum, mostly live TV. I have one cable box for primary tv, but use Roku's for the others. The new Apple TV coming out friday with high bandwidth wifi, gb network, 7.1 and atmos support. AND supporting spectrum. will make the latest Roku obsolete.

I have the latest LAN based Roku's and fastest speed I can get on them is 60mb. I hate to spend the $200 on new boxes, but its better than having no cable TV in the other rooms.

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

I hadn't heard about a new Apple TV but mine is the regular 4K one and I consistently get 150mb speeds (my router sucks and I get 235mb at the modem), full 4K, Atmos, DTS, Dolby Digital video, etc...   I'm not sure what my Apple's max speed is but gigabit would be useless to me based on my router and my max internet speeds from Spectrum.   4K doesn't require that much anyway.

I've heard that there may be a Spectrum app for Firestick.  If that's the case, I already have several of those.  Hoping that becomes a reality. 

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

Your gripe is about Roku & Spectrum specifically. What does this have to do with any Roku TV?

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Well, if Roku hadn't pulled the Spectrum app, I would have been able to watch Spectrum on my Roku TV without having to buy a $200 Apple TV 4K. 

0 Kudos
ppellegrini
Reel Rookie

Demsd, Roku removed the Spectrum app from available to download.  Roku TV is just a television with the Roku application.  If you want Spectrum, you can no longer download it.  It is no longer being updated either.  Roku and Roku TV are the same. 

0 Kudos