HAMsmoke

Can I run a dual device system?

I am now running a Roku Streambar - changed over from an older Ultra 4670). The HDMI-ARC has suddenly stopped working, but no bid deal, I hooked up the digital audio cable. But really, from Day 1, I was dissatisfied with the Roku device (the sound has been fine). It seems to crash a lot more than my older Ultra. And now, I'm thinking about the new model Ultra (4800).

Here is the question - can I run both the Streambar and a separate Roku on one TV? I guess the new Ultra would be where I control everything, In this configuration, can I just not plug in the HDMI cable from the Streambar and let the digital audio cable be it's only connection to the TV?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I run a dual device system?

It would work that way but you won't have volume control. The roku volume on the soundbars & streambars are roku cec commands, for it to control your tv or your tv control the streambar there has to be a hdmi cable with cec turned on. 

When you cec stopped working you should have tried refreshing the cec devices in the setting of your tv. 

As for having two roku's, no problem, I have my roku soundbar connected to my roku tv, I use the tv home screen for everything, the soundbar is only used for better sound. So connect the new roku ultra to regular hdmi input on your tv, keep the streambar connected to hdmi-arc, refresh the cec devices, then never use your streambar remote. Program the ultra roku remote for your tv, and then tv will control the streambar volume. 

The roku ultra and the streambar respond to the same IR commands, so use the roku wifi remotes that come with roku's, and not a universal remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos