Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itsep
Level 7

Calling Apple TV 4K owners with TCL Roku TV'S

I'm having a real issue with dolby vision content when using the apple tv 4k and playing from the itunes/movie store. There is no issue with dolby vision when I use the built in TCL Roku Apps -- only when using the Apple TV 4k.

Certain scenes appear to be blown out/inverted and having color issues when watching with dolby vision. See below for a picture of a recent rental rented through the apple tv app on the apple tv 4k. It wasn't like this for the entire movie -- only during scenes that had similar dark lighting. I could watch the same scene out of a built-in Roku app on my TCL and it looks fine.

The TV is a TCL 75R615 and I bought it this week from Best Buy.

I have replaced two new 4k HDR HDMI cables as well as tried every combination of Apple TV 4k Visual settings. My HDMI settings are set to 2.0 on the TCL TV. Any ideas on fixes or what could be causing this? Has anyone else experienced something like this with only specific scenes not displaying dolby vision correctly but only out of the Apple TV 4k?

If I switch to HDR and turn OFF matching dynamic range then everything displays correctly -- I want to be able to enjoy dolby visual when I should though instead of a workaround.

IMG_2327.jpeg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Michael115
Level 7

Re: Calling Apple TV 4K owners with TCL Roku TV'S

I own the TCL 65R625 model and the Appletv 4K. I was watching US last night when I noticed the same issue on a few dark scenes. Tried watching the same movie in the vudu app and couldn’t reproduce it. It’s definitely a problem with Apple and Dolby Vision. 

0 Kudos
dataviztribe
Level 7

I have this exact same issue and started a thread on Reddit

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/hkwhd4/apple_tv_4k_image_issues/

0 Kudos
kikar
Level 7

It seems as though you are having the same  issue I had with Chroma and the Apple TV. Make sure your Chroma is set to 4:2:0. I have a TCL 8 series and a 6 series and neither of them play nice with the Apple TV 4K when Chroma is set to 4:2:2. Just reset your video settings, makes sure chroma is 4:2:0, and then re-enable Dolby Vision. The issue should go away. It drove me crazy trying to figure this out when I had the problem.

0 Kudos
dataviztribe
Level 7

I tried this earlier today, it didn't work for me. By default, it was set to 4.2.0. I even tried setting the picture to 4k SDR and turned on the match content. No luck so far. I am on the latest OS on both.

0 Kudos
kikar
Level 7

I’m sorry that it didn’t work for you. I will do some digging and see if I can find any answers that may help. Good luck with your issue. I hope your problem is resolved soon. I know how frustrating these things can be. 

0 Kudos
dataviztribe
Level 7

So I contacted TCL, apparently, the T-Conn board is defective on my TV. It's shocking as it is a brand new unit. I wonder if TCL would have let this slip under the radar if I didn't contact them in the first place.

0 Kudos
Zerocool
Level 7

I am have the same issue with my TCL 75 8 series. It works fine with a vudu movie but The issue is present with apple/itunes purchased issues. I believe its apple TV issue and have stopped using my apple TV. So many people report this in different forums. I dont think its a TCL issue... Apple needs to fix this. I can sometimes makeit look a bit better if I calibrate the black levels but decided Id rather just use Roku Nd calibrate the tv using TCLs app. 

0 Kudos