Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samcrut
Reel Rookie

Re: Cable Channel Guide on live tv is all wrong with what is actually broadcast. Help???

The real frustrating thing is that my programming guide will say that "Sell this House" is playing, but if you pull up that channel, and then hit up and then down to change the channel off and back to the same channel, NOW the banner says "Price is Right," which is what is actually playing. My channel guide is corrupted. Several channels are showing the wrong network icons. They're confusing what network is on what channel and grabbing the guide info from the wrong entries, but if you just change channels, then it's pulling from that channel's metadata and gets it right. Very annoying.

0 Kudos
Mike-E
Streaming Star

Re: Cable Channel Guide on live tv is all wrong with what is actually broadcast. Help???

@samcrut 

Try this to clear your OLD channel matrix, and load a new one:

1: disconnect the antenna coax cable. Run a rescan. Since coax is disconnected, it likely won't find any channels.

2: Reconnect the antenna coax. Run another rescan, which should find your present channels right now.

See if the guide is now fixed.

Can't hurt, it might work, might as well try it.

0 Kudos
jnadenicek
Reel Rookie

That doesn't work, tried it.  The problem I have in my area, ROKU is populating the information for MIDCO CATV channels and I have ALLIANCE CATV at my home.  There is no option to select Cable provider so ROKU chooses the wrong system given we have both providers in my community. I have simply entered 00000 in for my Zip Code in the TV setup which gives me No Information in the Channel windows which is better than wrong information.  This all started with the last update so ROKU needs to address this issue.

Another feature I had before was my Google Home assistant was able to change channels.  I could say OK "Betty" TV channel 9 and it would go there.  Now, Volume, TV on/off, channel up/down work fine but if i try direct channel entry (TV Channel 9), The TV displays "Thinking" and never changes the channel. 

Too Bad, that hands free entry worked so great for my 84 year old Mother macular degeneration not having to handle a remote to watch TV.

0 Kudos
YamR1rider
Channel Surfer

@Mike-E I tried this.  No joy, the corrupted channel list comes right back (which is clearly being served up by some plug-in provider).

As someone else said, if you disconnect the TV from the internet and/or set the zip code to 00000, the guide will go blank, but when flicking through channels using up/down, the current show only on any given (antenna) channel will display correctly (for a few seconds after you change over).  Reconnect to the net and change zipcode back to your own (or one of at least 10 other area zips I tried), and the wrong list reappears.  

0 Kudos
Jay2007
Reel Rookie

Same issue with no fix yet

0 Kudos
dennycl

model 100012584

ser# ynoofx215131

device id  mo89df215131

software os  11.0,0 build 4193-at

channel guide same on 3 or more stations and ALL ALL WRONG!

I unplugged power overnight..no difference, checked updates,,,internet reset ...everything except FACTORY RESET. PLEASE advise a fix. its frustrating not knowing whats on.

0 Kudos
cappuccino
Binge Watcher

There is another discussion on this topic here:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Channel-Guide-Info-incorrect/td-p/800184 

Not sure why all discussions in the Roku community subforum "Roku TV" aren't appearing under the Community heading.

65" Hisense Roku TV (Costco model #65R7G5)
OTA TV antenna (indoor $20 RCA rabbit ears)
0 Kudos
cappuccino
Binge Watcher

ROKU is the one serving up the corrupt, flawed data for your local OTA TV guide. ROKU is going to have to issue a software update to fix the problem.

What won't fix your problem (unless your issue isn't connected with the Roku software update): Rescanning channels, resetting network, unplugging TV, changing your zipcode, changing any settings. 

One person in Phoenix reported a temporary fix by disconnecting from the internet. It did not work for me: I have a Hisense RokuTV and I believe the person who tried that might have a TCL.  To view all updates on this issue, visit https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Channel-Guide-Info-incorrect/td-p/800184

To put a bee in Roku's bonnet, also comment in the newer thread recently created here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Channel-Guide-Info-incorrect/td-p/800184 and also call or write Roku. This has been broken for awhile, but now more people are affected. So far, Roku has ignored this issue.

Contact the manufacturer of your TV and ask them to pressure ROKU to fix it. <==click for a list of manufacturers. 

0 Kudos
DougMB
Streaming Star

It isn't just OTA channels.  We should be clear on that.  I have digital cable and every channel and info is inaccurate.  

The moderators ask us for the same info again and again but don't respond with any new solutions.

So far it has been just the same repeated request for build ## and screen shots, etc and the same non correcting solutions of new zip, rescan, turn off, restart, etc.

Great to have a newer thread but it is still all the same non answer answers

cappuccino
Binge Watcher

@DougMB wrote:

It isn't just OTA channels.  We should be clear on that.  I have digital cable and every channel and info is inaccurate.  

The moderators ask us for the same info again and again but don't respond with any new solutions.

So far it has been just the same repeated request for build ## and screen shots, etc and the same non correcting solutions of new zip, rescan, turn off, restart, etc.

Great to have a newer thread but it is still all the same non answer answers

Honestly, I read your thread and all of your posts, and I am unclear exactly what equipment you have. You said "I have digital cable." Does this mean you are using a digital cable box to watch TV? If so, digital cable has nothing to do with scanning live TV channels on a Roku TV.

If you have a digital cable box, you don't need to scan for "cable channels" that you pay for through your cable provider. To access those channels, you would use the Roku remote to select the appropriate HDMI input and watch your cable channels. Or you would select the appropriate channel app and sign in using your cable TV credentials through the app.

I found this older post from you in another thread from 2020:

@DougMB wrote:

I just set up a new TCL R635 Roku TV.  

I scanned for channels from the coaxial cable input and found 90 of them.  The list of channels on the guide are all wrong from what is actually being broadcast on them and the data, when populated, is wrong as well.  

All the channels have a "period" as part of their number which wasn't the case on my older tv with the same cable hook up.

I have rescanned, rest, updated all to no avail.  

Help?

At the beginning of the current thread, when you said you only found 90 channels after scanning, it sounded like OTA channels to me, because I can scan/reach anywhere between 73 and 88 OTA channels. On the other hand, I get almost 1000 streaming channels via Roku's "live TV."

OTA channels and streaming channels are two different things.

If you are only watching your Roku TV via your digital cable box, your cable box has nothing to do with scanning live TV channels.

"Live TV" Streaming channels: Found by connecting internet to your Roku TV.

"Live TV" OTA channels: Found by hooking an OTA TV antenna (including "rabbit ears") to your Roku TV.

Cable TV channels: Found by either (a) going to a different HDMI and/or AV input, or (b) accessed via standalone Roku apps like STARZ or Showtime.