Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roguemouser
Reel Rookie

Bluetooth restrictions are pure EVIL

I bought a Roku TV together with a Bluetooth Samsung soundbar, expecting them to work together, because it almost never matters what brand I'm using, Bluetooth is Bluetooth no matter what device it's on. I've never in my life had a problem connecting any sound bar or speaker system or device to any other device.

Until I bought a Roku TV.

Rest assured, I'll never be buying another Roku TV. Alexa and Google both allow me to connect to whatever Bluetooth devices I choose to own. Not si with Roku. You want to use a non-Roku device on a Roku TV, you've got to buy the Roku wireless speakers. There is no way to connect a non-roku bluetooth device to a Roku TV, thus eliminating consumer choice. You know what happens when you eliminate consumer choice? If you're not too big to fail, you fail. If you are too big to fail, you are hated and reviled.

Roku's decisions to prevent customers from having the entertainment systems of their own choosing is evil and disgraceful. It can be fixed with a simple software update, but that won't matter to me. I'm seeling this POS and buying an Alexa. At least lets ME decide what products I want to use.

Never Roku. Never again.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Bluetooth restrictions are pure EVIL

You're wrong, its not simply a software fix, it would take added circuitry too. The Roku tv is Bluetooth receiver only, just like your Bluetooth soundbar, they each can only receive bluetooth signals, neither transmits it. Roku wireless soundbars don't use bluetooth, they use the same wifi-direct as the roku remotes do. Nothing roku branded communicates with current roku tv's and audio speakers by bluetooth. Only non-roku bluetooth transmitting devices do, like all brands of cellphones and tablets. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos