Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dianedpc
Level 7

Blank screen when I hit play no matter which channel selected

Just today, 1/11/2021, blank screen only when I hit play. All channels still show on home menu, once channel selected I can choose which show to watch, as soon as I hit play screen goes blank. I can hear the show, but on ALL the channels the picture is blank screen.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Blank screen when I hit play no matter which channel selected

@dianedpc 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku device are you using? Is this issue happening on a specific channel or does it happen on all channels? Have you tried removing the channel, restarting your device, then adding the channel back again to see if that resolves the issue you are seeing? 

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TVProblems
Level 7

My Roku TLC is blank has sound. I have tried eveything. I've only had it 2 years. 

can't get any Roku support. 

Visitor45763
Level 14

@TVProblems 

Does that happen with everything (streaming channels, antenna tv, HDMI-connected players)? 

Roku's break things. If you think that happened, I would do a home>settings>system>advanced factory reset. During the setup tell it you don't have internet access. It should install a version of software it came with. Then you could see if antenna tv works, or connected HDMI devices. (You could setup the network, and see if streaming works. But, you won't have much time until the tv looks for an update. If it breaks again, then you know you've suffered what many Roku customers do.).

If that's the situation you're in. You can buy an inexpensive external streaming box, like a Fire Stick or Andoid Box. Reset your tv back to factory, and never connect it to the internet. Just use it as a "dumb tv" (not a smart one). Some people have been doing that.

If you could provide more info about your black screen it would help. It's possible a factory reset will still be black. In that case it's a hardware problem. Sometimes you can find videos and things showing how to fix hardware problems. Apparently these tvs are just 5 modules that you can purchase and replace yourself.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos