Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngieH91

Black screen

First I have a black screen I can here the tv but I can’t see it. I’ve tried to do all the resetting and nothing works. I refuse to buy a new tv being that we are in the situation times (no work) I can’t speak to someone and email is a wait and see game is there anyway I can fix my tv without purchasing a new one 

3 REPLIES 3
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Black screen

@AngieH91

Thanks for the post.

Customers have reported that after they unplugged their TV for 10-15 minutes, then plugged it back in were able to resolve the issue you are experiencing. Have you tried that to see if that resolves what you are seeing?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@AngieH91 , I'm sorry you're experiencing this. If the unplug suggestion doesn't work, I would try:

1. Clear the cache (fixes random reboots) [1]
Hit HOME 5 times.
UP once.
REWIND twice.
FAST FORWARD twice. (Clears cache & tv reboots itself. Be patient. It takes 2-3 minutes for the tv to go black, and come back on)

You'd do that while the tv is on. You won't be able to see anything. But, there's nothing to see. Be patient. If you don't see the front light flash after at least 2-3 minutes, then you may not have done it right (waited too long between key presses, etc.). Try it again. You should see some front-light activity sometime during that 2-3 minutes which would tell you it recognized the key sequence.

2. If that didn't work. I would unplug the tv, hold the power button 30 seconds to discharge residual electricity. Then hold the pinhole reset button (back of tv) while plugging it in. Continue to hold it until the front light flashes and/or dims (15-20 seconds).

If your screen works after that, then I would tell the setup wizard that I'll setup internet connection later. This will use a smaller, maybe older, version of the software. You could play some HDMI content/games through it and see if the problem returns. If not, you could try setting up the network (home>settings>network) and see if the problem returns after that. (I have my two Roku tvs reset this way, and permanently disconnected from the internet to protect them from untested updates. I stream with an external stick through HDMI).

3. If none of that works, then I'd say it's a hardware problem. There are videos online showing how to fix problems like this. You might have to buy a tcon board, or something. It's pretty easy to do (it looks like).

[1] Roku has created some controversy about the so-called "clear cache" fix. They participated in a Business Insider article which seemed to be mock Roku customers about this (over semantics, "there is no cache. Silly customers!" [loose quotes]). The fact is: it actually does fix problems. If Roku ever got past mocking its customers, it might have time to actually diagnose and fix the underlying cause of the problems which that self-help operation actually does fixe. So, be prepared for someone to mock you if you ever refer to it as "clear cache." Whatever it is, it really has fixed problems other things didn't.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
SneakJesus
Binge Watcher

@AngieH91 If you have a TCL model 55S405, we’re in the same boat. Roku won’t do anything because they didn’t manufacture the tv, just the software. If it is a TCL and out of warranty, they won’t help you. They’ll tell you to get it repaired yourself.

0 Kudos