Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Basha
Level 7

BBC iPlayer app not working on Roku TV

Hisense Roku TV 50 Inch R50B7120UK 4K Smart LED TV with HDR

Less than a year old and for last few days iPlayer not loading. Says channel not available. TV has been updated, app deleted and reinstalled and still not working. Surely a TV less than a year old can’t now be obsolete!! Any help appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: BBC iPlayer app not working

@Basha 

Thanks for the post.

When removing a channel, that you restart the TV before adding it back again.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kimhollis123
Level 7

Hi I’ve tried this. Deleted the app, turned the tv off and left it for a few minutes and then turned it on again and re-downloaded the app and it still stays this channel is unavailable right now please try again later. It also does this when I try get on my5, channel 4 catch up and itv hub. Basically any of the catch up tv apps, I only got this tv in November and all I can watch is Disney plus, Netflix and YouTube currently, pretty poor so would like a solution to this 

Ranger2273
Level 7

hi @Kimhollis123 ,

I have the same problem with my 43" Hisense Roku TV, purchased in May 2020. The catchup TV apps all stop working. Initially removing them 1 by 1 and restarting the TV, then reinstalling them worked restoring services for a few days.  Now this workaround fails as well.

The only solution that seems to work for me is to do a factory reset of the TV, reinstall all apps, and then spend 1/2 day logging in to each one to get them all working. 

Even with this the catchup apps start to fail after a week or so. I am trying to get support from Hisense and so far have no response from their support team. 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

@Ranger2273 wrote: I am trying to get support from Hisense and so far have no response from their support team. 

Be sure to document your contacts with Hisense (& Roku, if any). File an official complaint with the FTC & your state's AG. Not all state AGs handle this. Some states have a dedicated consumer fraud department. But, the AG's office will know where to send you. (If you're in Canada, you probably have similar/more agencies & better protections.).

IMO, Roku is flirting with regulatory (class-action) trouble. It looks very fishy the way TV manufacturers blame Roku, and Roku says it's the TV manufacturers. It seems "convenient" for everyone except the person who bought the TV.

My impression is that Roku's not looking at the long-term anymore. Now that Android is on TVs (something Roku's CEO used to say was his goal to be), I bet they're just looking for a way to liquidate. Putting lipstick on. Trying to sweeten the appearance of having a valuable business to sell. More subscriber accounts (not retention). Things to talk about in the next shareholder meeting, not the hard stuff. All roses, no thorns. I bet they're looking for a buyer.

There's another thread about Netflix app buffering. That's over 1.5 years old, and still has people with the problem. The original person with the problem did a factory reset, never connected to the internet, and uses their tv as a dumb tv (uses an HDMI-connected external streaming device to do what they thought they could do with their Roku-TV). I think Roku wants people go silently into the night that way. 

I still don't understand why Roku even has this forum. They could alienate customers much less expensively if they had an impenetrable voice-menu system. I can't imagine someone thinking this forum is a good idea, where problems are endlessly passed along for years. No tracking. No status. No priority. The mixed signals like this leave you wondering if it's just incompetence, or sociopathy (malignancy). It's like there's no in-between explanation. The more you see it, the more malignant it looks. (When Roku changed my TVs background to a broken tv, I started leaning more toward that view. It's like they're proud of breaking tvs. How could someone be that tone-deaf?).

Don't let Hisense tell you it's Roku's problem. Your warranty is with Hisense. Hisense sold their tv with Roku. Document the self-serving finger pointing and report it to authorities who deal with this sort of thing.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
zuluuk
Level 7

Re: BBC iPlayer app not working on Roku TV

Hisense Roku tv can’t access bbc iplayer or itv hub 5 on demand more 4  and more apps not working after it done update now had the TV in December 2020 

@Basha wrote:

Hisense Roku TV 50 Inch R50B7120UK 4K Smart LED TV with HDR

Less than a year old and for last few days iPlayer not loading. Says channel not available. TV has been updated, app deleted and reinstalled and still not working. Surely a TV less than a year old can’t now be obsolete!! Any help appreciated!