Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clydefrog
Level 8

Audio issues on TCL 55R625 after OS Update 9.4

Last night my TV updated to the new 9.4 software (the version that adds VRR eARC and Airplay). This has created issues audio related. My TV (tcl 55R625) is connected to my Vizio SB36512 soundbar through the hdmi 4 port which is the ARC port. Since the update I no longer can get audio, there is a click-like sound every few seconds and occasionally a tiny blip of the audio from what I’m playing but nothing more. However, there two work around neither being ideal. If I go into setting-system-control CEC devices and turn off eARC audio will work mostly correct (will output 5.1 but not Dolby Atmos) but I can’t control my volume with the TV remote like I was. If I want to control my volume with the TV remote I have to go into settings-audio-s/PDIF and eARC change that from auto detect to auto passthrough (and turn control CEC back on) as any other setting cuts off audio and starts the clicking again. But now I will only get stereo instead of the 5.1 surround or Atmos that I’m used to.

In short the only way to get proper surround audio is to turn off eARC AND set the s/pdif setting to auto detect. But I lose volume control with the tv remote.

ive already tried cycling power and a factory reset and a different hdmi cord. 

Labels (2)
11 Replies
Erbaz_4
Level 7

Re: Audio issues on TCL 55R625 after OS Update 9.4

I am having the exact same issue with the 65R625 and the Vizio SB36512 soundbar. Thanks for the quick fix. I have not seen any other posts about this issue.

moo-man
Level 7

I have exactly the same issue with an TCL 65 LED 6 Series 65R625 TV and Vizio SB36512-F6 sound bar.

CEC will identify and handshake with Soundbar, but no sound.

If I un-check the CEC HDMI ARC; then I have sound, but lost ability to use TV remote to control sound bar volume. 

This started approx. Nov 22nd. (or that's when I noticed it)

StreamerUser
Level 16

All of you should report this directly to Roku & TCL:

Roku chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options   (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help)

and/or message @RokuDanny-R 

TCL phone or email:  https://support.tcl.com/contact-us

moo-man
Level 7

Found solution. Updated firmware of Vizio sound bar; (downloaded latest firmware to USB and updated sound bar following website instructions). Functionality is now restored to pre 9.4 condition with handshake and single remote controlling both devices via the HDMI ARC as specified with standard setup. HDMI ARC is checked within the Roku setup and on Vizio remote. Also connected by HDMI cable.  Root cause was Vizio was not connected to Wi-Fi and had not received updates since??? Have still been unable to resolve the wifi connection problem via the vizio smartcast app as the app will still not recognize and find the vizio sound bar (probably original cause if issue). Apparently the 9.4 Roku update was incompatible with firmware on soundbar at time of 9.4 update to Roku. Unfortunately I do not know soundbar version that was in use when 9.4 update occurred. 

0 Kudos
Its2loud
Level 7

Did this really fix your issue? I’m still having this issue. I did a warranty replacement on my Vizio thinking it was the sound bar.  Still having this problem.  

0 Kudos
Clydefrog
Level 8

Didn’t fix it for me. I was already on the latest firmware. I’m still having the issue. I contacted TCL and they had me go through a bunch of steps to try and solve the problem. Nothing helped now they say they’ll get back to me later when they have information. That was a week ago. 

0 Kudos
Its2loud
Level 7

Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of. I’m on the latest firmware for Vizio and I’ve been holding off contacting TCL cuz they’ll just have me run through the usual trouble shooting hoops that won’t fix anything. So frustrating.  

do you have a case number w them? I can tell them I’m having the same issue as another user with the same equipment.  Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Clydefrog
Level 8

TCL Case # US12202033802

Btw if you change your audio settings from “auto detect” to “Dolby digital dts” you’ll at least get 5.1 surround without it messing up every few seconds. The problem seems to be the way the tv is handling Dolby Digital Plus since the 9.4 update. 

0 Kudos
Its2loud
Level 7

Thanks! The only way I can get consistent audio through any of the tv apps is if I set it to PCM-Stereo. Anything else gets me nothing.  Definitely no Atmos. Stinks. 

0 Kudos