Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KellyNormand
Level 7

Are my TCL Roku TVs going to work?

I have two TCL Roku TVs one is a TCL 32S327 32-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model) and the other is the same basic model but a couple years older and a 43". Will these continue to get updates?

I also have two TVs with Roku sticks and the version number is 3400X Roku Stick. I see that is one of the ones that is no longer supported. What should I get as a replacement for those two?

Thank you.

[post moved to appropriate board]

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Are my TCL Roku TVs going to work?

@KellyNormand wrote:

I have two TCL Roku TVs one is a TCL 32S327 32-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model) and the other is the same basic model but a couple years older and a 43". Will these continue to get updates?

I also have two TVs with Roku sticks and the version number is 3400X Roku Stick. I see that is one of the ones that is no longer supported. What should I get as a replacement for those two?

Thank you.

the TVs will still be receiving updates. Right now Roku is only dropping support for the very oldest, weakest powered players. Even the oldest Roku TVs are comparatively new next to the players that are no longer supported. 

The 3400 Stick uses the MHL protocol. It looks like HDMI but it's not. There has never been any other Roku devices that support MHL, and I'm not aware of any other device that does either. Assuming your TV also has normal HDMI ports as well, you can plug any Roku player into one. Any currently available player is going to be an improvement in performance over the 3400. Either the Express or Premiere would be fine, and both are well under $50 each.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

I just bought a Roku stick.  When the code didn't work, I called support.  They told me I have to pay for service for 3, 5 or unlimited duration, or the older equipment won't work.  Is this correct?  It's not an insignificant amount of money they want.

If I don't do this, is my older Roku box going to work?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@NorthernComfort wrote:

I just bought a Roku stick.  When the code didn't work, I called support.  They told me I have to pay for service for 3, 5 or unlimited duration, or the older equipment won't work.  Is this correct?  It's not an insignificant amount of money they want.

If I don't do this, is my older Roku box going to work?

If you called an 800 phone number, you reached a scam site. Roku does not charge anything for the players to function for any set duration. Some channels of course require a subscription, but not the Roku functionality itself.

Exactly what code are you referring to? Was it for a specific channel, or are you just trying to connect the Roku Stick to your Roku account? For the latter, again there is no cost for that. Please don't provide any payment information to such "support" sites. They are not legitimate, and will likely steal and sell your credit card information.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos