Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KMiler
Binge Watcher

Re: How can I Stream longer than 4 hours

Jump to solution

The Roku I use in my birds' room is a couple years old plug-in device, model #3920X. I have a built-in Roku TV in my living room that is 3.5 years old and it never shuts off, even on YouTube. I have only had an occasional issue with Tubi staying on all day for my birds. But I think it is due to an internet connectivity issue that crops up once in a while, not the device, that shuts it off. The vast majority of the time when I come home from work Scaredy Squirrel or Scooby Doo is still playing 😊

EStaley
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@KMiler we bought the Roku Premiere, model 3920x that you have - Amazon listed it as 2018 model, but the box had copyright 2021 so it's still being manufactured.  After turning off bandwidth saver, it does indeed stream Tubi all day.  Not sure why the cheaper Roku LE model doesn't, even though we disabled bandwidth saver on the LE. So Roku model version is a factor.  Also, I can confirm that Discovery+ streams all day.

RichardLipshay
Reel Rookie

Re: Are You Still Watching? - How can I stream longer than 4 hours on Roku TV?

Jump to solution

The solutions don’t make any difference. I have bandwidth saver turned off and it still keeps asking me if, “I’m Still Watching”. That’s the least of my irritations.
 I am so completely pissed off that I bought a Roku TV. It’s a nightmare of never ending nonsense.

0 Kudos
KMiler
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If you read all through this thread, you will see that it isn't Roku asking you if you are still watching. It is the channel you have on. Netflix does it, YouTube does it, and lots of others. That is why having the bandwidth saver off doesn't help. Tubi will stay on without asking, though. So leave that channel on.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @RichardLipshay,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding Bandwidth Saver and helps you disable the feature if you do not wish to use it. How to use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over your internet data cap | Official Roku Support 

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LSeeber
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Quick question.... in what way would it benefit the actual network (fox) to stop the streaming? Would they not want it to continue and ads continue? Seems like the only entity that would benefit from stopping the streaming would be the internet provider. There may be a valid reason, I'm just not aware of it so I'm asking.

0 Kudos
KMiler
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Likely because if no one is there to hit the button and keep the channel streaming, then presumably no one is watching, and it saves the channel bandwidth to shut it off.

0 Kudos
LSeeber
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Is the channel itself using amounts of bandwidth sending the signal to individual tvs?  or would that be your internet provider? I wouldn't think that ABC or CBS is saving bandwidth by cutting you off... but the IP would? (Please be patient... I'm someone's granny!)

0 Kudos
KMiler
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No worries! From what I understand, for web-based channels, like Netflix, they need to provide Internet bandwidth on their servers to give customers access and keep everything up and running. They estimate how many customers may be watching at a given time and base their bandwidth level on that figure. So kicking off those who are not really watching is a way for them to prevent bottlenecks from an overloaded bandwidth and save them money by not using as much bandwidth. You also need bandwidth from your internet server to get channels to broadcast on your TV. That bandwidth can also get overloaded during busy times and results in a lot of rebuffering. I hope that helps!

0 Kudos
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@LSeeber  Most ISPs still have data caps. I have Cox internet with a 1.2TB data cap. Channels and devices stop streaming after a certain amount of inactivity to prevent users from going over there data caps. 

0 Kudos