Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Apps keep closing on my Roku Tv

Jump to solution

I recently bought a Phillip's Roku TV.  I disabled power saver and bandwidth saver and screensaver options, but it still goes back to the home screen after 4 or 5 hours.  I have tried this with 2 apps, Xfinity Stream and Hulu.  The TV itself seems to be spotty when it comes to connectivity.  My wifi is good and the tv is 10 feet from my modem/router.  Any ideas what is causing the apps to close?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Apps keep closing on my Roku Tv

Jump to solution

@jim51881  Thanks for the note here. Many channels (apps) have their own features that may limit the duration of continuous streaming without confirmation from the user that they are still watching. These are separate from any Roku system features, and are determined by each channel themselves. I'd recommend following up with Hulu or Xfinity support directly to inquire further and see if they can provide any additional support or guidance related to these features within their channels. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@jim51881  Thanks for the note here. Many channels (apps) have their own features that may limit the duration of continuous streaming without confirmation from the user that they are still watching. These are separate from any Roku system features, and are determined by each channel themselves. I'd recommend following up with Hulu or Xfinity support directly to inquire further and see if they can provide any additional support or guidance related to these features within their channels. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Tanner,

I have already called Comcast technical support, and Roku support.  I am positive this is the tv.  Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@jim51881  The behavior you described would not be something that is being caused by your TV itself specifically (if you've disabled bandwidth saver), but rather by limitations within channels that are determined by each channel provider. Hulu, for example, uses a feature that prompts users with 'Are you still watching?' after a certain period of active streaming. If you do not confirm this prompt, the channel will exit playback. Comcast may have a similar feature implemented within their channel. 

I would recommend reaching out to Hulu support directly here for more information: 1 (888) 265-6650 or online at: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

If you would like any additional support related to your TV, I'd recommend following up with your Roku TV manufacturer directly. You can locate their contact information here for more help: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Tanner,

I spoke with Comcast directly. They have no settings like this (I double checked by going through all the settings myself as well).  So far nothing on this post has been helpful.  Do you have any actual responses besides contact someone else?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@jim51881 Thanks for following up. Unfortunately, if you've already disabled the Roku system provided features that may limit continuous playback (bandwidth saver), and this behavior is occurring within a channel that has implemented a similar feature, there isn't much additional advice we can offer other than to follow up with the channel provider for more help with the features and functionality of their channel. Channels (apps) on the Roku platform are built and maintained by each channel/service provider themselves. They develop and determine the features and functionality within their channels, including mechanisms that may impact continuous streaming ability, etc. 

The only additional recommendation I can make would be to try removing the channel from the Roku home screen, then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your device loads up again, try installing the channel once more. This process can help resolve some playback issues in channels in some cases. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue. It’s 100%
from Roku and has nothing to do with individual channels. I use the roku media player to display my restaurant menu and it goes back to home screen every few hours. It’s absolutely ridiculous and I will never buy another tv that has roku installed. Nothing should be this complicated and the fact that they are telling us to call the specific channel is just passing the buck 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Some observations:

Usually this happens exactly around 3 hrs.

Looks like it happens only on some systems (the $99 version usually does not have this issue is my observation).

My guess would be on some systems the bandwidth saver setting is not taking effect in the OS, hence it kills the app. There is some thing around 3 hrs of memory leak or heat or something which is triggering this. Roku please check.

There are multiple discussions on this and not sure why Roku is constantly ignoring it. 

This issue started around Nov 2019 upgrade.

0 Kudos