Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecriturefemme
Reel Rookie

Apple TV app not playing movies

The app for Apple TV is now not playing movies on my roku tv. It acts like it might work but always is frozen on a snowy static page (sometimes lined but basically the same thing). Help?? I do have my tv current on updates et al. Other apps working fine. Thanks! 

Amy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Apple TV app not playing movies

I don't know much about anything, but the usual instruction is to remove the streaming app; go to home>settings>system>power and do a "restart" there. (If "fast-start" is enabled, I would disable that. It can cause problems.). Then reinstall the app.

If that doesn't work, people are usually told to contact the app's support. 

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
ecriturefemme
Reel Rookie

Thanks! I did try this. As it stands now, both Apple TV app & Disney Plus not playing correctly. Both have been reinstalled. Next steps? Advice appreciated! 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@ecriturefemme wrote:

Thanks! I did try this. As it stands now, both Apple TV app & Disney Plus not playing correctly. Both have been reinstalled. Next steps? Advice appreciated! 

Something to be careful of: There was another user this morning who said they were having Disney+ issues kicking them out while they were watching; having to reinstall or restart. After doing that one too many times, now they're stuck in the Roku death-grip. (An endless loop they and many others can't get out of.).

Someone else may have a better idea, but if I were you, I would waste no time doing a factory reset (home>settings>system>advanced). When it asks you to connect to the internet, choose "I'll do this later" (but never do it). 

You'll end up with a "dumb tv" that's protected from Roku's famously untested updates. (Your tv won't live & die by Roku's whims.). Then buy an external streaming device to watch streaming through HDMI. Having two remotes initially sounds like a burden. But, just wait till you have the Roku recovery loop. Depending on the external streaming device you buy, you might be able to have just one remote (a universal). 

I did this, and spent $22 USD on a Firestick lite. I think the Sofabaton F2 will let me control both the tv and stick. I'm waiting to find out. 

It doesn't sound intuitive to view it this way. You expect a company to take more care of their customers. You expect problems to be acknowledged and professionally dealt with. But, another forum member will tell you you're just one restart away from the Roku recovery loop. When that happens, you'll get no help with that AT ALL. Just look at the threads.

So, I think factory reset to the dumb-tv no-internet software, and $22 on a streaming stick is the obvious answer.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos