Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to stop Roku TV 24/7 requests?

I just checked in my Pi Hole blocked requests (I had just set it up to block Smart TV ads), and it seems like my Roku TV keeps on making blocked requests to 2 domains: scribe.logs.roku.com and cloudservices.roku.com, which seems interesting as the TV remains off (Quick start disabled). Anyone know how to stop it, other than just blocking these requests?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Any way to stop Roku TV 24/7 requests?

You can't. It's a smart tv. It is how it behaves. 99.9% of Roku TV users do not even know what Wireshark or Pi-Hole is. What you are seeing is entirely normal. A Roku updates automatically. It's is called communication. Also Roku does not make TV's. They sell the software to companies such as TCL, Hisense or Sharp. You can ask your manufacture. But what you are seeing is entirely normal. The TV is never actually off. If it was then every time you pressed the power button on your remote the TV would have to bootup. If you want to stop in then unplug your TV.  Insert tin foil hat here Smiley LOL

https://support.roku.com/article/360011064094

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll just keep blocking these requests. (The power outlet is hidden, it would be very inconvenient to unplug it every time. :I

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

There’s absolutely no reason to block the request. You’re gonna affect how your TV works and how it updates. You’re being way overly paranoid. Disable the Wi-Fi connection to it when you’re not using it. But you are acting like your TV is spying on you

0 Kudos

Well I just want to keep my privacy and block these stupid ads. I don't care about how it works. That's what I do with all my smart TVs.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

You cannot block ads on your TV. It’s how it works. Explain to me in detail what you are so paranoid about? 

0 Kudos

Well I have managed to. Smart TVs DO spy on you, I don't wanna be tracked.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@tvbinger553 

Nothing wrong with expecting a streaming service or any other online service to respect your privacy.  

Everyone is entitled to configure their network as they see fit and for whatever purpose suits them.  Plus, I think it was Harold Finch from Person of Interest series that said "It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you."

In addition to blocking certain services like you are doing, you can certainly power down your Roku (unplug it/use an automatic timer, etc).  No power=no communication.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Deadbeat-Native
Binge Watcher

I am seeing similar behavior from my Roku Premiere+ (4630 series)  .

In the last 28 minutes the ROKU has made 5293 dns requests (3.15x/sec) for scribe.logs.roku.com and it has also made 4179 dns requests for cooper.logs.roku.com (2.48x/sec).  There are responses to the dns requests, but the roku seems to be ignoring them.

I have power cycled multiple times, factory reset several times, and manually forced device to check for updates.  Completed the setup process.  Still get the same behavior.

So how do I get my Roku Premiere+ (4630 series)  to stop this behavior?

0 Kudos
Rampage

Got a Roku Stick exhibiting the same behavior.  Over 10,000 requests a day between two devices, the most in my home by a far stretch, and the devices are actively used maybe 6 hours per day combined.  Way out of the realm of reasonable behavior.

0 Kudos