Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeremystiedye
Reel Rookie

Antennas and my Roku TV

In the past two and a half years I've been through two separate Roku television sets the first one started really messing up so I took it back to Walmart and they were kind enough to exchange it for another piece of **bleep** Roku television set the issue I'm having is I hook my television set to an antenna to get my local channels for the first two months it's great and then all of a sudden the TV decides it doesn't want to acknowledge the antenna no more so I start losing channels so I go out and spend another $80 to $100 on another antenna thinking the antenna is bad when in actuality after over a dozen antennas at 80-100 a piece I have come to find out it's the TV not the antennas my antenna is mounted on my roof with a 50 ft diameter clearance all the way around the antenna if I hook it to a TV from back in the 1980s I can get every local channel but if I hook it back up to this Roku piece of **bleep** I get three channels I will never recommend your television sets or your television service to anyone not even an enemy of mine your products are the biggest piece of junk I have ever seen in my life I cannot believe that you are allowed to sell this garbage but I'm going to make it my life's mission to shut Roku down permanently once and for all you don't want to have any customer service no problem we'll just shut you down have a nice day with your junk

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Antennas and my Roku TV

@Jeremystiedye 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend making sure that you are connecting your antenna properly to your Roku TV. For more information about how to set up your antenna input to your Roku TV, visit our Support page here: How do I set up the Live TV input on my Roku TV™?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Strega
Roku Guru

I'm probably taking you too literally, but if you really get all your local stations on a 1980s TV, then the trouble is that your local stations are still transmitting in NTSC and modern sets aren't designed for that! Smiley Happy

That said, I do think that many of the manufactures of "Roku TVs" are in the third tier/fourth tier/fly-by-night range.  Sometimes you'll get one that is fine, but I'd rather have a Samsung and just plug a Roku into it.  Last time I checked, Samsung had the highest reliability rating in Consumer Reports. However, it's been a while since I've needed to check (because I picked a reliable TV, I suppose) so things may have changed.

Keep in mind, that Roku doesn't manufacture any TVs.  That might actually be a good thing for you though, since you're complaining about a lack of Roku support – ie: for a TV, you go to the TV manufacturer for support – not Roku.  So, maybe the TV manufacturer actually has some!?

AdaBeta27
Streaming Star

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt re. connecting the antenna correctly.  ;-D   I think the problem may be the same as I have with my Westinghouse non-Roku TVs:   The tuner in them can't work with lower quality / weak signals.  I only have OTA TV on one of my TVS, a 24" Westinghouse.  But what I did was connected my old 2008 "DTVPal Plus Dish Network DTV Receiver" box to it since it's only a 24" T and the DTV box provides sufficient resolution for that.    My suggestion is find a good tuner box that can work with weak signals and hook that to your antenna and use it as your OTA receiver.  The built-in tuners in most TVs are probably quite adequate for city dwellers who are bombarded by strong signals.  But I can't get more than 3 or 4 channels and their subs with them out in the rural area where I live.  

0 Kudos