Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TLOU2
Binge Watcher

Re: Antenna TV guide only working when connected to network

Well, I have given up on Roku ever fixing anything they messed up. They are to sorry to do so. I have been back and forth with Roku Support on Twitter, and I must say, that support is a joke. 

All I ever got was stupid automated solutions, like unplug your tv from the power source a few minutes and try again, or check for an update, then restart your tv and try again. Or my all time favorite, let's troubleshoot your remote, lol.

That remote itself is a joke, it's slow and unresponsive, and it needs numberpads. Changing the channels takes ages, especially since they messed up the offline channel list that they won't ever fix.

And every so often my hdmi ports show up with a scrambled looking green screen, which only go away when restarting the tv.

I have all these problems you mentioned and more, since I stupidly connected my tv to my phone hotspot on Jan 8th.

The only thing they fixed was the part where I couldn't even watch tv unless I was on the internet, and that took a few weeks for them to do too. 

I only bought a Roku tv because I wanted a TCL, and sadly they don't come without Roku attached 😞

I also don't use it for streaming, had my tv for 2 years and only tried streaming once or twice

GM559
Binge Watcher

TCL emailed me back with the usual hard reset instructions, totally ignored the fact that I mention many people in the Roku forum stated the issue started when they updated the software and could change channels offline before.

I guess I have to live with not being able to change the channel with TV offline. Not a major deal for me since I use streaming apps and stay connected to the internet.

Have owned this TV for 3 years and overall have been satisfied with it, especially since I paid so low for it, with that said, still feel Roku should still acknowledge that many don't like what they did to the guide with the latest update.      

Email from TCL support below:

We know how difficult it is not being able to access your favorite channel and this issue must be affecting your viewing experience. Rest assured that we are here to help.

We would like to inform you that the TV should be connected and activated through Roku for it to properly display the TV's Smart Guide. However, since you are not being able to access one of your preferred channels, please follow the steps and observe if the issue will be resolved after performing each step.

1. Power reset the TV using the steps below:
a. Turn the TV off and unplug it from its power outlet.
b. Press and hold the power button which is the middle button on the bottom surface of the TV for 15 seconds.
c. Re-plug the TV to the outlet and turn it on.
2. Perform a system restart.
a. From the Home Screen, select Settings.
b. Select System.
c. Select Power.
d. Select System Restart.
e. Select Restart.
3. Enter your ZIP Code into the TV's system.
a. From the Home Screen, select Settings.
b. Select System.
c. Select ZIP Code.
d. Enter the ZIP Code.
4. Perform a factory reset. Please note that this puts your TV to its factory default settings.
a. Select Settings on the Home screen
b. Select System.
c. Select Advanced System Settings.
d. Select Factory Reset.
e. Select Factory Reset Everything.
f. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the reset.
g. Complete the initial setup and re-link it to your Roku account in case you have access to it before.

Please be advised that the manufacturer's warranty only covers one (1) year from the date of purchase. Should none of the steps work you may bring the TV to a local repair shop or if you purchased an extended warranty, please get in touch with the retailer.

Thank you.

Zeus A.
Customer Support Team
TCL North America
Support .TCL.com

svsulab
Channel Surfer

Its been plenty of time for roku.com to fix this issue with the live tv/antenna, since they refuse to fix this issue I am asking every one to stop buying anything roku till roku.com fixes this with the next update, I will not buy anything roku.com, even streaming content, please anyone reading this that has this problem stop spending any of your hard earned money with anything roku.com or any of the the streaming content thur roku.com, thank you, and I expect this post to be deleted by roku.com moderators - since they only care about the money they make, not the customers that buy the roku TV's!!!

svsulab
Channel Surfer

roku.com why do we need a internet connection for the over the air HDTV tuner in the TV to work?

JAM60680
Channel Surfer

@svsulab wrote:

Its been plenty of time for roku.com to fix this issue with the live tv/antenna, since they refuse to fix this issue I am asking every one to stop buying anything roku till roku.com fixes this with the next update, I will not buy anything roku.com, even streaming content, please anyone reading this that has this problem stop spending any of your hard earned money with anything roku.com or any of the the streaming content thur roku.com, thank you, and I expect this post to be deleted by roku.com moderators - since they only care about the money they make, not the customers that buy the roku TV's!!!

That goes without saying!

Also, the last time I commented here they offered a survey for me to complete, and I told them exactly that. I'm keeping this TV because it was a gift but there is NO WAY I will ever buy any Roku products, ever.

Usernameisuser
Reel Rookie

This is safety issue. What about after a hurricane? Don’t expect to know what the heck is going on when the power is out. 

If this is not fixed, when I buy my next TV it will not be a Roku. 

I will send this to Clark Howard, but more importantly lodge a complaint with the FCC. Unacceptable behavior 

RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Usernameisuser 

Most of the messages in this thread were posted last year when 9.4 was the current version of Roku OS.  Since then, Roku has updated the OS twice, to 10.0 later that Spring and to 10.5 last Fall.  The tuner user interface is now managed by system libraries that can be updated separately from the operating system.

I just tried to reproduce the problem on a Roku TV.  I went to Settings / System / Advanced and reset the network connection.  On reboot, I didn't setup a new network connection, and verified in Settings / Network / About that none existed.

When I went to Live TV, I could see all of the over-the-air (OTA) channels.  The guide didn't show any program information, but it did let me change channels.  Roku gets their guide information from a commercial database, and there's no support in the US market for getting guide info from the over-the-air signal. We do show program parental ratings information from the OTA signal though.

I couldn't scan for channels again from the star menu on the Live TV tile with no network connection, but I could go and scan from Settings / TV Inputs / Live TV, and it picked up the TV stations here in Austin and let me tune to them.

I'd love to hear exactly what you're seeing when you try this and what your test procedure is.