Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Antenna TV guide only working when connected to network

@sksR wrote: what about people where internet temporarily stops working?

You're right. I had that problem about a week ago. Something between me and whatever "guide" server Roku uses was slow. It would take 10 seconds for the broadcast tv picture to appear.

I think another interesting tidbit in this latest exchange: reset picture & settings worked for one person, but not another. The differences in problems (who has them, who doesn't), the self-discovered workarounds (one thing works for one person, but not for another) makes it look like Roku software is like the proverbial "box of chocolates." It gives the impression it's not a stable environment.

Maybe the person with tv/picture reset solution could provide their software version from the "settings>system>about" menu (the version with the additional build number). Maybe they have a newer version, and something works different?

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
TLOU2
Binge Watcher

The supercharging system update last week let me watch tv offline again, but the channel list still won't show offline like it did before they added the streaming channels nobody wants.

Where it says channels, there is supposed to be the list for my broadcast offline channels, with the station numbers, for instance 13.1, 13.2, 19.1 and so on. But it is stuck on "loading data". It used to not have to load anything, it was instantly there.

They still haven't fixed this...

And I bought a roku voice control remote the other day, thinking that is a way to change the channels quickly, but no, it requires internet to work.

Nowhere on the box did it state that it needed internet to work, thanks Roku, for wasting my money 😖

I'll keep it though, the battery compartment is easier to open than on the one that came with my tcl tv, as it has a pull tab. My other one is a pain in the you know what to change out batteries, lol20210126_103526.jpg

The all channels part on the left, should show the offline antenna channels

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@TLOU2 wrote: They still haven't fixed this...

Nowhere on the box did it state that it needed internet to work, thanks Roku, for wasting my money. I'll keep it though, ...

You may have seen this mentioned: There are inexpensive "dtv tuner boxes with HDMI output." $20-$40 USD. I've been using the MediaSonic Homeworx 150. It's not bad (not as good as the old voucher DTV converters 15 years ago). The screen to hide & fav channels is probably the worst part of it. Needlessly tedious. But, once it's setup, it's not bad. You get numeric keypad access to channels.

I also have the ViewTV AT300, and iView 350. I still need to connect those and see how they compare. I'm hoping one of them will be a little better. But, for $30'ish, they might save the day if you find yourself stuck with Roku leaving you behind.

(Another alternative is to factory reset back to the software your Roku TV came with. Tell the setup you have no internet, and never configure the internet.). Then you'll back to the antenna tv you liked, but have no streaming ability. You'd have to spend $30'ish on an external streaming box to connect to an HDMI port.).

Regarding those external tuners. The main (anticipated) downside to them is that they use broadcast tv info. That's good if you don't have internet. But, not as complete or accurate (in my area at least) as online guides. I always use an online guide anyway, so I didn't care how the on-screen guide works. The remotes feel cheap/lightweight. The 150 has a very narrow beam. My Roku remote does too. I think they're almost the same that way.

I plan to buy an All-For-One URC-7880 universal remote. It has learning capability, which I think will be necessary for these cheap'ish external tuner boxes. All-For-One has a URC 7140 which has a wide-beam. I wanted to get it. But, it doesn't appear to be sold in the US. (The company says they plan to sell 10 more models in the US in the coming months.). There's also Sofabaton U1. Seems nice. But, a little pricey. And, the number buttons are small/crampt. I'd consider it if the number buttons were spaced out more.

Anyway, those might be ideas to get more use out of your tv.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
TLOU2
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the suggestions 🙂

I don't really wanna spend any more money on something Roku messed up though, the only think I would buy is, if Roku came out with a new remote control with a numeric keypad on it.

They should have that instead of the giant netflix and hulu and so on buttons, that I constantly accidently press.

I already have a messy cable salad behind my tv, I have a soundbar, nintendo switch, ps4 pro, 4k player, and a backup power supply connected, I can't add anything else to that cable mess, lol

I don't wanna reset my tv to factory settings either, because I like having the option to stream a movie, if I can't find it anywhere else. I streamed 2 movies in the two years I own my tv. I would stream more often if I could get some decent unlimited internet in our rural area. But until then my only internet is my phone's hotspot.

sksR
Binge Watcher

Just as a side note, doing a factory reset on your TV will not replace the software. It will just you clear all the settings. I reset mine and I still have 9.4.0 build 4200-30 rather than the 9.2 that came up the set.

Running a set without setting up the internet restores the ability to change channels quickly and get OTA program description. It does not restore the audio privacy ability to both speakers and headphones. It also removes the ability mirror your tablet or telephone on the TV.

It would be nice to go back to the oldest software or at least the features that had.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@sksR wrote: doing a factory reset on your TV will not replace the software. It will just you clear all the settings. I reset mine and I still have 9.4.0 build 4200-30 rather than the 9.2 that came up the set.

This must be another example of Roku's famous sloppiness, low standards & uncaring. I just factory reset my tv. As you noted (warned), my settings>system>about still says 9.4.0 build (demolish) 4200-30.

But, continuous channel changing works now(!) Favorites are back(!). The "captions on mute" works again (i.e., it doesn't leave captions on permanently after unmuting. That bug has existed since last summer. It still existed after the recent update which broke more stuff.).

So, I can't say for sure what version I have now. But, I think the "about" screen's version is just something they forgot to clear out. 

[Now I'm tempted to leave it this way & buy an inexpensive external streaming box (Firestik, Android box, Chromecast) to reduce my vulnerability to Roku's disregard for customers. It's tempting. "Spend 20 minutes setting-up everything again (just to be target practice for Roku's untested updates)? Or, shell out $30 to be free of Roku once and for all?" It honestly feels like a breath of fresh air. Being away from your abuser.]

GM559
Binge Watcher

Re: Antenna TV guide only works when connected to network. EDITED TO ADD: This is a dealbreaker, I'm

-Roku device model 6114X - Roku TV TCL 55US57-W
-serial number YW00HA356040 (8N900H356040)
-device ID 8N900H356040
-software OS/version 9.4.0 BUILD 4200-22

Last night I had an internet outage and when I attempted to change the channel via the guide it default to channel 7.1 (I was trying to access Fox which is 26.4) which is a religious channel. No matter what channel I tried to go to it would go to channel 7.1, so ended up watching TV in my bedroom on my dumb HDTV. Like others have mentioned, since the update to 9.4.0 BUILD 4200-22 is causing this problem. I like my Roku TV with all it's smart features so don't want factory reset and have it if offline or buy an external device to view OTA channels, the next update to the software OS should address the issue of having to be online just to change a OTA channel. 

JAM60680
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R 

Hi Danny,

Any news? It's been over 2 months since I opened this topic and Roku still didn't offer any solution.

GM559
Binge Watcher

@JAM60680 wrote:

@RokuDanny-R 

Hi Danny,

Any news? It's been over 2 months since I opened this topic and Roku still didn't offer any solution.

As per the "Contacting Support for Your Roku TV" thread, I sent an email to support for my TCL TV. (even though the web site gives you warning about not being secure since it certificate is out of date by 128 days?) Maybe you should try the contacting your TV manufacture also since your not getting anywhere here. 

Sigurd_P

Roku TV 7101X
TCL model 43S405
Serial # YNOOY7623375
Software Version 9.4.0 Build 4200-30

Invoking the tracker after viewing an over-the-air broadcast tv show and pressing the center navigation key to display the show info and time. "No Information"
Tracker ID 75-487-367
timestamp 2020-12-04T10:47:16Z
local time 2021/3/16 between 9:45pm & 9:55pm pacific time
The screen was displaying 2am instead of 9pm

After I made the mistake of allowing the TV to update itself in the last week I have the following complaints. Operation while not connected to the internet.

1. No current show info decoded from the broadcast signal anymore. I have never seen it display more of the broadcast data than just the current show even though I know most local stations provide 10-12 hours of guide data.

2. Displayed time is off by (5) hours with no DST relationship to the configured pacific time zone. It did temporarily get corrected when connected to the internet. But that is not a solution for me.

3. Can no longer swiftly change channels with the navigation buttons on the remote. Previously, when watching a channel, pressing the left key followed by up or down keys to choose a different channel, then leap to it by pressing the center key. This avoided the signal sync time for each channel imposed by simply stepping through the channels with the up & down keys.

I prefer the way the factory default operates for everything except the missing PAUSE feature and non functional "<<", ">||", ">>" buttons. I only want to view over the air TV and generally do not want to connect the TV to the internet. I rarely want to access internet content with this TV - I have spent less than 12 hours total of internet content in the last 3 years. I only allow the TV to be connected to the internet when I had a reason to view content from there.