Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Norskie
Level 8

Amazon Prime Video very slow on TCL 55R615, fine on 55S403

On my TCL 55R615 the Amazon Prime Video app is very slow to pause, review, etc. For example, when I attempt to pause the video, or skip back seven seconds, it takes 2-5 seconds before the action occurs. This is the same whether I use the Roku TCL remote (IR) or the phone app (WIFI). My other TCL tv (55S403) it's quick and snappy. 

Other channels (Youtube etc) are quick and snappy. 

I'm tempted to blame Amazon's app, but I haven't yet figured out how to contact them (and I've updated the app). I'm tempted to pick up a Firestick and use that instead of the Roku ecosystem (or another Roku plug-in device).

Are others having this issue? 

9 REPLIES 9\
ricardocasney
Level 7

Re: Amazon Prime Video very slow on TCL 55R615, fine on 55S403

I have a 65R615 with the same issue. I hope they fix it soon, or I'll have to switch to another brand.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 14

@ricardocasney wrote:

I have a 65R615 with the same issue. I hope they fix it soon, or I'll have to switch to another brand.

I am seeing the same slower responses from Prime Video app across a number of TCL models. There is also an issue if you use the X-Ray feature to access CAST members in a scene. If you view a cast member during playback and then select the back button to RESUME video the picture does not return to video. You can hear the audio, but no picture. Have to return to HOME SCREEN of Roku to stop playback. I do hope there is an update to the Prime Video app soon that will address both issues.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Thanks for the notes here. You can contact Prime Video support here to report the issue you're seeing with the version of their channel (app) you are using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

I'll share this feedback over with them as well. 

Cheers,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Norskie
Level 8

I just tested the X-Ray bug you mentioned and can confirm it does the same for me. I don't use X-ray much so this isn't a big deal to me. I would suggest you follow the Amazon support link provided and report the issue - if we get enough complaints they might address the problem.

0 Kudos
Norskie
Level 8

Thanks, I did that. They ran through their script (update channel, reset TV etc) to no avail then "noted my complaint for future reference". I doubt anything will come of it.

I would suggest that Roku contact Amazon and throw their weight around. Amazon has an incentive to make their channel / app run slow on Roku so they can sell their own Fire products. Roku has an incentive to get this resolved to keep customers in the Roku ecosystem.

TCL should also get behind this (as well as Hitachi and any other Roku-enabled smart TV's) as they also have an incentive to retain customers in the Roku ecosystem. If the Roku part of TCL TV's becomes irrelevant due to a poor Amazon Prime Video channel experience, and customers need to buy a Fire TV device anyway, TCL does not have much of a competitive edge over other Smart-TV rival's like Samsung, Sony, Westinghouse, etc. 

Still, the 55R615 (and other 6-series) is fantastic at this price point ... it's just that without decent Amazon Prime Video performance I'll be watching a lot more Netflix / Youtube / Hulu instead.

0 Kudos
Blath919
Level 7

I just had the same issue with the response times to my roku tv while using prime video app. I contacted amazon support and they had me make sure that my roku tv was up to date (it was) then they had me delete and reinstall the app. That fixed my issue and it works like it should. Hope this works for you also.

0 Kudos
microsecond
Level 7

I have the same problem on my TCL TV but not on my Roku units. Doesn't happen with the Netflix app.

Update - I reinstalled the app and it works fine now. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
gbumgard
Level 7

Yep, reinstalling the channel fixed it for me too.

0 Kudos
SJDaniels
Level 7

It’s happening on my Sharp 58” Roku TV too... and it is Amazon Prime. The app updated the other day, I can tell because I sort my channels by color and it’s now darker.

I have YouTube, Netflix, Hulu+, MoviesAnywhere, Vudu, Apple TV app and Fubo live. All without issues or lag on my gigabyte Xfinity Internet. 

Amazon Prime keeps spinning, providing errors in a foreign language and even advises me to go to Amazon UK for trouble shooting... I’m in Concord, NH. 

0 Kudos