scoobyclub
Streaming Star

Airplay not working on Streambar

So, I am posting this just vent my exasperation with the poor quality of Roku engineeering.

To add to my remote issues which I have posted extensively about Airplay doesn't work either for the most part.
Most of the time it just cannot be seen from my Mac Mini when I try to screen mirror or stream to it. If I switch Airplay off an on on the streambar it appears to my Mac Mini. Any attempt to connect though fails 90% of the time. 5% of the time it will extend the desktop for a while. 5% of the time it works until I stream something else then it fails.

The irony is that Airplay works perfectly from my Mac Mini to my 10 year old AppleTV device connected to the same TV vie the same WiFi and fortunately the TV routes the audio ok to the Streambar.

This is clearly a basic issue with Roku implementation of Airplay on the device. A company like Roku ought not to have such poor implementations, it is your core business.
I have been through the forums and all there seems to be is the pointless collecting of information and no feedback or solutions.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Airplay not working on Streambar

@scoobyclub

Thanks for the post.

Are you making sure that the computer and the Roku Streambar are on the same wireless network? In addition, have you tried changing the wireless network channel to see if that helps your connectivity issues?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
scoobyclub
Streaming Star

I'm quite poor I only have one broadband connection and one router 🙂

I have tried changing the channels but that actually seemed to make things worse.

I did try resetting the router completely back to basics and that has helped a bit but it still glitches a fair bit. The confusing thing is that my really old AppleTV performs perfectly when doing the same thing and all the network settings are the same.

I have a feeling that my router maybe not be up to handling as many devices as I now have and things like streaming from one device to another create too much traffic bouncing around. I don't think it explains everything though because it is only the Roku device that struggles. Networks are hard to diagnose unless you are an expert.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@scoobyclub

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-OS that your Mac Mini is running
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos