Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
solidcitizen
Level 8

After software update on 12/18/20 Roku TV's Mac address now changes and I'm losing Wifi connection

Jump to solution

It seems that my 43" Sharp Roku TV, model LC-43LB481U, has a new "feature" that is causing the wifi connection to drop during the middle of streaming TV.  We are also finding other strange network behavior.  My router (an eero pro) usually shows the Hostname as "43SharpRokuTV" but when the device reconnected -- with a different mac address -- it reverted to a hostname of "2N00HA713233" before disconnecting from the network completely.  The wifi signal also shows a very weak (1 bar) signal even though it had been typically showing 5 bars.  

Problems started on 12/18/20 after a Roku TV software update was pushed through.  The stability has been so bad we reverted to using an older Apple TV device for streaming.

Please fix!

Thanks/ Solid

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
solidcitizen
Level 8

Re: After software update on 12/18/20 Roku TV's Mac address now changes and I'm losing Wifi connecti

Jump to solution

I solved my problem!  It was NOT caused the Roku TV or any software updates

I had a Linksys/Cisco wifi range extender on one side of the house.  Sometimes the Roku would connect to it, and when it did so, the MAC address that showed up on my eero hub for the Roku TV was in fact "generated" by the Linksys wifi device as it was acting as a relay.  I removed the wifi range extender and the problem went away.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
solidcitizen
Level 8

Re: After software update on 12/18/20 Roku TV's Mac address now changes and I'm losing Wifi connecti

Jump to solution

Also: if you indeed planned to enable MAC address randomization, which seems to be the latest fad, PLEASE add an option to disable it in order to help with device management within a private network.

lola3
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am also having this issue. My Roku Sharp LC-43LB481C tv has been disconnecting from wifi ever since it updated software on December 10th (10/12/2020. Even after every type of reset (factory reset, button of tv, network reset) it still disconnects from wifi and is unable to find new networks. Sporadically it just connects like it used to but sometime refuses to connect even after resetting it multiple times. This TV has zero issues since purchased in November 2017 and has had connection issues since Dec 10th, 2020

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

In home>settings>system>advanced there is a network connection reset. I've seen someone say that fixed their problem. (I think you said you tried that.).

In system>power there is a restart option. Also a "fast start" option. It seems like the "fast start" causes/magnifies problems by keeping corruptions in memory. If that's enabled, disable it and do the restart in that menu. (If it's not enabled, you might try that restart anyway.).

I don't doubt that the update caused this. But, can you move your wifi closer to the tv (or the tv closer to the wifi), just to see if it has anything to do with signal strength? That might be good to know. Maybe the updated software is more picky/sensitive to interference. Maybe you were just on the bubble of a usable signal, and the update changed that. It wouldn't hurt to move the tv to the room with the router/wifi, and operate the tv there for an hour (however long to see if the problem exists there).

If it seems to be the signal, there's things you could do which might make it workable again. (I know it's the update's fault. But, I doubt that's going to change. All you can do is find a workaround.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
lola3
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for all you suggestions.

I have tried every type of reset with sporadic success only to have the issue return. Today, I have tried every reset option (button, network, factory) and it still won't connect. I am starting to think the disconnections over the past month were indications of a worsening HARDWARE PROBLEM that has now failed today.

The wifi has been right next to the TV the whole time (and it worked like this for the past 3 years; since November 2017) without issue. Again, this disconnection issue started immediately after the system update on Dec 10, 2020.

I will be resorting to Chromecast and am I am skeptical of purchasing a Sharp Roku TV again

solidcitizen
Level 8

Jump to solution

I solved my problem!  It was NOT caused the Roku TV or any software updates

I had a Linksys/Cisco wifi range extender on one side of the house.  Sometimes the Roku would connect to it, and when it did so, the MAC address that showed up on my eero hub for the Roku TV was in fact "generated" by the Linksys wifi device as it was acting as a relay.  I removed the wifi range extender and the problem went away.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@lola3 , see this post in one of the many (many) threads about this "all zeroes" problem:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Wireless-MAC-all-zeros-after-firmware-update-reboot/m-p/65...

It says all you have to do is solder a ground wire to the Roku wifi card. I would doubt most people's ability to solder that without overheating the component beneath. Google for "no-heat solder electronics" (or "liquid solder"). There are products that will do this without heat. They should be satisfactory for an immobile tv.

PS: Pause for a moment & consider how Roku has known about this problem for years, and still (apparently) hasn't corrected their bad design. That starts looking more predatory (as many things about Roku do) than innocent hardware failure.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos