Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AWB
Level 7

Adding OTA channels on Roku tv

There needs to be a way to manual add tv channels to the lineup on Roku TVs. I have two Roku TVs connected to a cable system that has several channels that don’t show up after a scan. There are other TVs in the house that do find the channels. The only thing that I can see is that the missing channels take a little longer to show video when you tune to them on the regular TVs. So we need a way to manually add them or extended the detection time on the Roku tvs. 

30 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Adding OTA channels on Roku tv


@AWB wrote:

There needs to be a way to manual add tv channels to the lineup on Roku TVs. I have two Roku TVs connected to a cable system that has several channels that don’t show up after a scan. There are other TVs in the house that do find the channels. The only thing that I can see is that the missing channels take a little longer to show video when you tune to them on the regular TVs. So we need a way to manually add them or extended the detection time on the Roku tvs. 


I agree, it's frustrating that the only way to add a channel is to rescan the entire spectrum. They also need an on-screen direct access keyboard to manually enter a channel number, such as 22-4. I've complained about it, but so far fallen on deaf ears. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Shawn3
Level 7

Re: Adding OTA channels on Roku tv

I agree!!!

0 Kudos
luvbusch
Level 7

Re: Adding OTA channels on Roku tv

Agree. I'll be returning this TV if there is not a fix. Remote without a keyboard?

Bent256
Level 7

Re: Adding OTA channels on Roku tv

I have an outside antenna with a rotor. The received channels are different depending on the direction of the antenna.  Therefore a single scan will not find all the channels and I don't have access to the others.

atc98092
Level 21

Re: Adding OTA channels on Roku tv


@Bent256 wrote:

I have an outside antenna with a rotor. The received channels are different depending on the direction of the antenna.  Therefore a single scan will not find all the channels and I don't have access to the others.


Yep, an excellent reason to be able to scan without removing existing channels, or to be able to manually add them. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Rick1000
Level 7

Re: Adding OTA channels on Roku tv

Has there been any progress on this issue? I have the same problem. It is frustrating.

atc98092
Level 21

Re: Adding OTA channels on Roku tv


@Rick1000 wrote:

Has there been any progress on this issue? I have the same problem. It is frustrating.


Nope, no change. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Fairtaxdotorg
Level 7

Re: Adding OTA channels on Roku tv

Same here. I am considering buying a new 6 series TCL or maybe even an 8 series but this issue is so frustrating that I may consider another manufacture. Rokus silence on this issue is concerning.

atc98092
Level 21

Re: Adding OTA channels on Roku tv


@Fairtaxdotorg wrote:

Same here. I am considering buying a new 6 series TCL or maybe even an 8 series but this issue is so frustrating that I may consider another manufacture. Roku's silence on this issue is concerning.


Roku doesn't manufacture the TVs, so they have no say in the remotes provided. It would be nice if they offered a virtual on-screen keypad, but so far nothing. I just bought an LG Nano85 and I am very pleased with it. My Ultra and my Shield look great on it, and I have a remote with number buttons. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos